Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
      discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

      Joe M.

      donc113 wrote:
      > I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
      > talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
      > features.
      >
      > I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
      > for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
      > for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...> wrote:
      >> Close call Do Not Disturb...
      >> EDACS ESK..
      >>
      >> thats about it
      >> (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
      >> 396XT.
      >>
      >> Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.
      >>

      >> Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
      >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

    • Mike Iszak
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

        There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
          knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
          ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
          comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
          high RF areas.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

          > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
          would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
          My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
          a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

          > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
          wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

          HandheldScanners

          > Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with
          intermod. I
          > believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
          > better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
          > channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.
          >
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@> wrote:
          > >
          > > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID?
          How
          > about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker
          that
          > doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?
          > >
          > > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
          > rather than look pretty.
          > >
          > > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should
          have
          > been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is
          because
          > of the GRE offering.
          > >
          > > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
          > trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and
          smell
          > the technology or else get left behind.

        • johnstark
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
            GRE's....

            > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
            > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
            > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
            > or near a cellphone site.
            >
            > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
            > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

          • kayi4cle
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
              So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
              you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
              Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
              understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
              hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
            • pmanu44
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT