Re: [BCD396XT] Low-Profile Mag Mount Mobile Antenna

  • Richard A. Victor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
      I'm afraid that I don't understand how something other than a mag
      mount would ruin the tint, but nonetheless, you could get something
      like the MFJ mag mount shown at the following URL

      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/4443.html

      and just connect a bnc rubber duck to it if you really need low
      profile. If you want more antenna performance, you might want to
      look at the Larsen NMO150/450/800 which is also available in a mag
      mount but is going to be somewhat taller and less flexible.

      Dick

      At 06:16 PM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
      >So just as the subject states I'm looking for a good antenna for the
      >XT for use in my car. I would need it to be mag mount as I have my
      >windows tinted and it would ruin the tint. I park in a parking
      >garage for work so the lower profile the better. Any ideas would be awesome.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >-Dan
    • Michael Bennett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
        I use the Larsen tri-band Dick suggested and it works great

        Mike

      • omlbed@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
          Is that a BNC connector on the radio end of it as well?? Can't tell from the picture.? It's clearly BNC on the antenna end.

          Thanks

          At 06:16 PM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
          >So just as the subject states I'm looking for a good antenna for the
          >XT for use in my car. I would need it to be mag mount as I have my
          >windows tinted and it would ruin the tint. I park in a parking
          >garage for work so the lower profile the better. Any ideas would be awesome.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >-Dan

        • Joe Polcari
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
            That's what I use with the diamond 17" rubber duck. It works great.

            At 06:16 PM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
            >So just as the subject states I'm looking for a good antenna for the
            >XT for use in my car. I would need it to be mag mount as I have my
            >windows tinted and it would ruin the tint. I park in a parking
            >garage for work so the lower profile the better. Any ideas would be
            awesome.

            >Thanks!
            >-Dan

          • Richard A. Victor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
              It's available with BNC at both ends or SMA at both ends.

              Dick

              At 08:18 PM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
              >Is that a BNC connector on the radio end of it as well?? Can't tell
              >from the picture.? It's clearly BNC on the antenna end.
              >
              >Thanks

            • Dan Danz
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
                Because I primarily monitor 800-Mhz systems, I've had some success and been very
                pleased with the looks of the Antenex Phantom Elite Low Profile Dual-Band
                806-866Mhz antennas (google for ETRAB8063) and the TrunkMount NMO mount
                (google for 901101). Nobody ever notices this antenna any more - I'm not
                advertising that radios are in the car. Of course, being a trunk lip mount
                means I get some directional issues - but I'll live with it rather than have a
                moving porcupine. J

                YMMV .

                ________________

                Dan Danz (WA5SKM)

                Fountain Hills AZ

              • shelleysh1@att.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
                  Hi Dan,

                  I have used the following for both the 396X and 396XT. It has been a great antenna for my car and I HIGHLY recommend it! I bought it from HRO and they got it to me quickly and safely. It includes the coax on the mount (I use the lip mount, not the mag, although I included the mag mount info below). It's a short antenna, yet has great gain. I live in St. Louis County (MO) and have little problem hearing everything I have programmed into my scanner, which is virtually most of City and County. Here's the info:

                  Larsen Tri-Band Antenna
                  NMO150 / 450 / 800
                  Frequency:
                  150-165 / 450-470 / 806-940 MHz
                  Gain: .............2.14 dBi ± 1dB
                  This is a great anenna for scanner
                  operation. It is NOT tunable for amateur
                  operation.

                  Mag mount
                  NMO MMR

                  Again, I've used this antenna for at least 4-5 years (have had two of them) and highly recommend it.

                  Shelley