Bying a new scanner

  • russelempey@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2009
      Hello to everybody!

      I've just joined yesterday, and it nice to see all the helpfull advise being posted, I'll be purchasing a new scanner in the next few days, my choice is the Uniden BCD396XT, but I'm now second gessing myself with the GRE PSR-500 as well as the PRO 106, any suggestions on which is better, I currently own a Uniden 895XLT, I enjoy listening to the law enforcement in my area, I'm in the Mississauga Ontario area, I'm interested in the O.P.P Provincial Police, as well as our local Peel Regional Police, Halton regional police and the Metro Toronto Police, I believe they all use different systems and the OPP is on a digital system. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

      Russ
    • Jeff Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2009
        I have a GRE PSR 400 and the 396XT so I can only do a general comparison.  I love the 396XT and use it for regular monitoring of all systems in my area (South East Fla) and the 400 for my hometown freqencies. When I got the 396XT a couple of weeks ago it took me a while to understand the DMA programming, but once I understood the programming I used Radio Reference along with Freescan and downloaded all my county trunked system frequencies and a neighboring county's trunked frequencies (Almost all stuff is trunked down here),  The Digital decode works great as in the neighboring county. The neighboring county has almost all Police and fire in digital though there is analog for the sheriff's office and dispatch channels. The 396XT also gets less interference from my Computer, The GRE continually hangs on 866.5125 when I boot my PC and the 396XT just scans away.

        From my experience with Uniden vs GRE/Radio Shack I would definitely get a Uniden,

        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2009
          Thanks!

          From: Jeff Miller <jafarm66@...>

          Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:35:55
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Bying a new scanner

[...]

          From my experience with Uniden vs GRE/Radio Shack�I would definitely get a Uniden,

          I've just joined yesterday, and it nice to see all the helpfull advise being posted, I'll be purchasing a new scanner in the next few days, my choice is the Uniden BCD396XT, but I'm now second gessing myself with the GRE PSR-500 as well as the PRO 106, any suggestions on which is better, I currently own a Uniden 895XLT, I enjoy listening to the law enforcement in my area, I'm in the Mississauga Ontario area, I'm interested in the O.P.P Provincial Police, as well as our local Peel Regional Police, Halton regional police and the Metro Toronto Police, I believe they all use different systems and the OPP is on a digital system. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

          Russ

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2009
            There both good, I'd go with the 396xt if I lived in Mississauga, the GRE's
            are very good when your away from the bigger cities but because they are
            more sensitive I doubt they would work well in your location.

            Mel
            (I do like my 500 and 600 though)
            > I've just joined yesterday, and it nice to see all the helpfull advise
            > being posted, I'll be purchasing a new scanner in the next few days, my
            > choice is the Uniden BCD396XT, but I'm now second gessing myself with the
            > GRE PSR-500 as well as the PRO 106, any suggestions on which is better, I
            > currently own a Uniden 895XLT, I enjoy listening to the law enforcement in
            > my area, I'm in the Mississauga Ontario area, I'm interested in the O.P.P
            > Provincial Police, as well as our local Peel Regional Police, Halton
            > regional police and the Metro Toronto Police, I believe they all use
            > different systems and the OPP is on a digital system. Any suggestion would
            > be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
            >
            > Russ

          • J. Newell
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2009
              I have been running a BCD396XT next to a PSR-600 since the day the XTs first started shipping.  I live in the metro Boston area.  Honestly, I think it's a toss-up.  The Uniden is smaller than the PSR-500.   Memory structure and how you turn on and off scans is different.  The Uniden is probably a little more intuitive (to the extent that any of these can be intuitive) for most people.  You can get similar results with the GRE, but you have to do it a little differently.   One thing - Paul Optiz's support of the Uniden (he is the product manager) is truly outstanding.  Toss a coin?  Buy whichever you can get a better deal on?  I really don't think you can make an error either way.

              John Newell

              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2009
                Thanks so much!

                From: "J. Newell" <john.o.newell@...>

                Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:06:09
                To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2009
                  I have or had both a BCD396XT and a PSR -500. Sold the PSR-500. I believe
                  the Uniden method of DMA memory is much more versatile. Each and every
                  system is available to use and be active at any time. The GRE memory uses
                  Virtual folders with only 20 or 21 scan lists per folder. Only one Virtual
                  folder can be active at one time. Thus, if a scan list in one folder and a
                  scan list in another folder need to be monitored simultaneously (as
                  scenarios change) , it can't be done. But the Uniden will allow all systems
                  to be activated or deactivated as needed.

                  Clark