Dual Mode ? Trunked System

  • SRehm24416@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2009
      Question. I am programming a motorola trunked system that uses both analog and P25 signals. Do I program it as a analog system with P25 settings or do I have to program the system two times, so as to hear both analog and digital transmissions? Seems like a basic thing but some of us are not as bright as others.

      Thanks a lot everyone.

    • mch@nb.net
      Message 2 of 10 , May 29, 2009
        Program it as Motorola Type II. Since it has analog TGs, it cannot be a P25 system.

        Joe M.

        On Sat 30/05/09 12:14 AM , SRehm24416@... sent:
        > Question. I am programming a motorola trunked system that uses both analog
        > and P25 signals. Do I program it as a analog system with P25 settings or do
        > I have to program the system two times, so as to hear both analog and
        > digital transmissions? Seems like a basic thing but some of us are not as
        > bright as others.
        > Thanks a lot everyone.

        > Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > To change settings online go to:
        >
        > To change settings via email:
        > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • gcr33
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2009
          P-25 modulation aka ASTRO is not the same as a P-25 9600 baud system. The scanner if set to all modulation will decode both analog and digital.

        • shelleysh1@att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2009
            Hi,
            I'll bet I know exactly what you're programming! St. Louis City, right? They're so messed up it's unreal. Joe is correct, of course, Motorola Type II. The new City system is a single control channel P25, but there are a couple of things going on down there. They're simulcasting and also the bandwidth is such that if you're more than a mile or so outside city limits you aren't going to pickup a lot - even if you have a good external antenna up on your roof at home.
            But City appears to still be going back and forth between the old and new systems fairly often. It seems as though they don't have all the problems straightened out on the new one yet. I could be wrong but as of a week or two ago, I know I heard them on both the old and new systems. (What a mess!!)

            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2009
              Actually, ASTRO is Motorola's term for 'digital' and does not
              necessarily mean P25. Only ASTRO 25 is P25. There are many other ASTRO
              modes that no scanner can decode.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 30, 2009
                Wrong, Shelly! The correct answer is St. Charles city. According to RR everything is analog except for the PD channels. I programmed the system with the control channels listed but the control channel(s) was wrong. I ended up entering all five frequencies for the system and I finally got it to work. Not a strong signal either. There is a posting for an extra channel with a FCC application but I am not really sure if it needs to be there.

                If you are familiar with St. Louis (which I think you are, hint) the St. Louis system is actually better than what I expected. They are simulcasting on only two analog TG's and the signal I am getting in my home is FAR better than the old analog system. But I still need it if I want to monitor EMS.

                FYI, today at the intersection of Clarkson and Manchester Rd's I picked up the city P25 TRS with the stock antenna, inside my vehicle. Loud and clear.

                If you want to e-mail me direct so we don't bother too many folks here you can.

                Happy listening.

                jeff

              • SRehm24416@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2009
                  After some confusion with control channels for the system I was programming, I got it corrected and it decodes both digital and analog.

                  Thanks.

                  gcr33 wrote:
                  > P-25 modulation aka ASTRO is not the same as a P-25 9600 baud system. The
                  scanner if set to all modulation will decode both analog and digital.

                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, mch@... wrote:
                  >> Program it as Motorola Type II. Since it has analog TGs, it cannot be a P25
                  system.

                  >> Joe M.
                  >>

                  >> On Sat 30/05/09 12:14 AM , SRehm24416@... sent:
                  >>> Question. I am programming a motorola trunked system that uses both analog
                  >>> and P25 signals. Do I program it as a analog system with P25 settings or do
                  >>> I have to program the system two times, so as to hear both analog and
                  >>> digital transmissions? Seems like a basic thing but some of us are not as
                  >>> bright as others.
                  >>> Thanks a lot everyone.

                  >>> Your email settings:
                  >>> Individual Email | Traditional
                  >>>
                  >>> To change settings online go to:
                  >>>
                  >>> To change settings via email:
                  >>> BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                  >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                  >>> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  17:53:00

                • gcr33
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 31, 2009
                    Many other? Vselp is the only other one I can think of. 1 or 2 left I believe.

                    What I was trying to simplify is the P-25 thing for some of the newer listeners who think that because a system uses Astro modulation it is a P-25 system. There is always the people who say Astro modulation is encryption. It is not.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                      LOL Jeff - you got me! I'm picking up St. Charles City pretty well, especially mobile. I'll check to see if I have the extra frequency entered or not and let you know via email. We can also compare notes in email about St. Louis City. I'd like to know if you're receiving all the districts - that's what has been problematic outside city limits. A couple of the TGs have been loud and clear though. Anyway, we can discuss in email!
                      Shelley :)

                    • SRehm24416@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                        I am in the city and I am picking up all the districts. There is no deviation in signal like with the analog system. I still think there was/is an antenna issue with some transmissions. I can get a very strong signal on a TG then if it switches repeaters the next signal may or may not be strong. Very odd and I am sure I am the only one that notices it.

                        The new system is still using the tower downtown next to the comm center. So I have been told by a city dispatcher. They still have the back up on Sublette and they just built a new tower on Union at the area lll station. Don't know what they are going to use that for yet.

                        The city has also scaled back or eliminated special groups like the SCAT, and others. So there is minimal "extra" traffic and not as many TG's as there used to be.

                        I was shocked to hear the city out on Manchester but when you look closely it is very high and you can see pretty far. The old (still there I think) SBC/AT&T building up by Metro West house 1 used to have a huge SW antenna on the roof. Boy what a distance that could cover. I think I may have even heard them using it for a test many years ago talking all over the country with other stations. That is when I had the time to actually listen to my SW radio. Ha.

                        Anyway, what kind of questions do you have, or comments etc. Don't know if I can answer any of them but maybe we can learn something.

                        jeff