Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT HandheldScanners

  • donc113
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
      believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
      better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
      channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

      > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
      about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
      doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

      > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
      rather than look pretty.

      > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
      been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
      of the GRE offering.

      > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
      trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
      the technology or else get left behind.
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
        discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

        Joe M.

        donc113 wrote:
        > I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
        > talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
        > features.
        >
        > I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
        > for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
        > for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...> wrote:
        >> Close call Do Not Disturb...
        >> EDACS ESK..
        >>
        >> thats about it
        >> (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
        >> 396XT.
        >>
        >> Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.
        >>

        >> Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
        >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

      • Mike Iszak
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

          There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.
          Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
          believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
          better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
          channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

          > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
          about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
          doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

          > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
          rather than look pretty.

          > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
          been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
          of the GRE offering.

          > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
          trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
          the technology or else get left behind.

        • uniden.upman
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
            knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
            ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
            comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
            high RF areas.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
            would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
            My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
            a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

            > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
            wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

            HandheldScanners

            > Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with
            intermod. I
            > believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
            > better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
            > channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.
            >
            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID?
            How
            > about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker
            that
            > doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?
            > >
            > > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
            > rather than look pretty.
            > >
            > > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should
            have
            > been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is
            because
            > of the GRE offering.
            > >
            > > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
            > trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and
            smell
            > the technology or else get left behind.

          • johnstark
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
              never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
              GRE's....

              > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
              > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
              > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
              > or near a cellphone site.
              >
              > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
              > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

            • kayi4cle
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
                you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
                Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
                understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
                hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
              • pmanu44
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                  http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT