Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

  • donc113
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29 1:57 PM
      I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
      talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
      features.

      I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
      for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
      for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.

      Don

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...> wrote:

      > Close call Do Not Disturb...
      > EDACS ESK..
      >
      > thats about it
      > (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
      > 396XT.
      >
      > Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.
      >

      > Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

    • donc113
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29 2:06 PM
        Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
        believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
        better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
        channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

        > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
        about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
        doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

        > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
        rather than look pretty.

        > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
        been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
        of the GRE offering.

        > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
        trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
        the technology or else get left behind.
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29 2:23 PM
          Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
          discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

          Joe M.

          donc113 wrote:
          > I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
          > talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
          > features.
          >
          > I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
          > for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
          > for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.
          >
          > Don
          >
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...> wrote:
          >> Close call Do Not Disturb...
          >> EDACS ESK..
          >>
          >> thats about it
          >> (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
          >> 396XT.
          >>
          >> Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.
          >>

          >> Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
          >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

        • Mike Iszak
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29 2:37 PM
            Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

            There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.
            Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
            believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
            better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
            channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

            > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
            about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
            doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

            > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
            rather than look pretty.

            > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
            been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
            of the GRE offering.

            > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
            trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
            the technology or else get left behind.

          • uniden.upman
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29 2:44 PM
              It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
              knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
              ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
              comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
              high RF areas.

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
              would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
              My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
              a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

              > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
              wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

              HandheldScanners

              > Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with
              intermod. I
              > believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
              > better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
              > channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.
              >
              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@> wrote:
              > >
              > > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID?
              How
              > about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker
              that
              > doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?
              > >
              > > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
              > rather than look pretty.
              > >
              > > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should
              have
              > been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is
              because
              > of the GRE offering.
              > >
              > > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
              > trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and
              smell
              > the technology or else get left behind.

            • johnstark
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29 3:22 PM
                never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
                GRE's....

                > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
                > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
                > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
                > or near a cellphone site.
                >
                > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
                > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

              • kayi4cle
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 29 4:04 PM
                  So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
                  you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
                  Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
                  understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
                  hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
                • pmanu44
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 29 4:30 PM
                    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT