problem w/ patches and remote control protocol

  • fleidy@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 8:34 AM
      Gang (mostly Paul),

      I've noticed an oddity with the remote control protocol. The system I monitor has a dynamic patch between talkgroups 35408 and 35568. I have neither programmed into the radio and am listening on open mode. There are times when the display and PC protocol show different things.

      I had the display showing 35408 as the active talkgroup. But, the PC protocol told me the active talkgroup was 35568.

      I've seen this quite a few times. I don't recall having this problem on my 396T.

      Is this something that has been noticed by others? Can it be addressed in some upcoming firmware patch?

      Thanks,
      Frank
    • dmccorm@charter.net
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 8:54 AM
        By "open mode" you must be talking about ID-Search. Open mode is a GRE term.
        The 396 Classic would not display patched talkgroups, the XT does. As for the protocol, I suspect that it doesn't report just the patch, but does report the associated talkgroups as reported by active control channel as it sees it.

      • fleidy@neo.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 9:06 AM
          My bad. Was trying to type fast and put OPEN instead of search. I should clarify. I am using display mode 2. The pactch information shows on the second LARGE line. The line below it shows the talkgroup ID (in mode 2). It is that line that is not in sync with the GLG command (used by most programs for reception status).

          I believe the issue is larger. Even in ID SCAN mode, I've seen the same thing. Some times the Fire and EMS dispatch channels (3696 and 4016, respectively) are patched together during dispatches. The PC protocol logs 4016 as FIRE DISP. I suspect something is wrong with the way the GLG command reports status.

          It almost looks like the firmware is using the patch info to log the command, instead of using the channel grant itself to log and send the GLG response. But, that's just the programmer in me. I've been studying the code for Trunker way too much. :)

          The software I use (Proscan) shows the raw PC protocol data. I'll try and grab a sample of the STS (display status) and GLG (reception status) when they are out of sync.

        • dmccorm@charter.net
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 9:25 AM
            Could be that you have found a problem then. I suspect it should report the same information that is fed to the display. The information should be the same in the reported data as is in the protocol, no matter what display mode is toggled.

            ---- fleidy@... wrote:
            > My bad. Was trying to type fast and put OPEN instead of search. I should clarify. I am using display mode 2. The pactch information shows on the second LARGE line. The line below it shows the talkgroup ID (in mode 2). It is that line that is not in sync with the GLG command (used by most programs for reception status).
            >
            > I believe the issue is larger. Even in ID SCAN mode, I've seen the same thing. Some times the Fire and EMS dispatch channels (3696 and 4016, respectively) are patched together during dispatches. The PC protocol logs 4016 as FIRE DISP. I suspect something is wrong with the way the GLG command reports status.
            >
            > It almost looks like the firmware is using the patch info to log the command, instead of using the channel grant itself to log and send the GLG response. But, that's just the programmer in me. I've been studying the code for Trunker way too much. :)
            >
            > The software I use (Proscan) shows the raw PC protocol data. I'll try and grab a sample of the STS (display status) and GLG (reception status) when they are out of sync.
            >
            > ---- dmccorm@... wrote:
            > > By "open mode" you must be talking about ID-Search. Open mode is a GRE term.
            > > The 396 Classic would not display patched talkgroups, the XT does. As for the protocol, I suspect that it doesn't report just the patch, but does report the associated talkgroups as reported by active control channel as it sees it.
            > >
            > > ---- fleidy@... wrote:
            > > > Gang (mostly Paul),
            > > >
            > > > I've noticed an oddity with the remote control protocol. The system I monitor has a dynamic patch between talkgroups 35408 and 35568. I have neither programmed into the radio and am listening on open mode. There are times when the display and PC protocol show different things.
            > > >
            > > > I had the display showing 35408 as the active talkgroup. But, the PC protocol told me the active talkgroup was 35568.
            > > >
            > > > I've seen this quite a few times. I don't recall having this problem on my 396T.
            > > >
            > > > Is this something that has been noticed by others? Can it be addressed in some upcoming firmware patch?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Frank

          • Frank Leidy
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9 7:54 AM
              I've been able to confrim that there is a problem with the information reported by the STS and GLG protocol commands. I set up a quick little program to send GLG and STS commands in sequence every 1/2 second. It reports any time the talkgroupID in the GLG command doesn't match the talkgroupID displayed. Once a mismatch is found, it logs the time and the entire contents of both messages. Here's an example (sorry if it wraps lines):

              ---------------5/9/2009 10:44:16 AM---------------
              GLG,35568,NFM,0,0,Summit County800,Suburb Fire,TRICOM FD DISP,1,0,NONE,NONE,NONE

              STS,011000, ?? ,,Summit County800,,TRICOM FD DISP ,,35408
              ,,S1:*******--- ,,GRP-*****---- ,,1,0,0,0,,,5,WHITE,0

              The display is correct. Talkgroup 35408 is programmed as TRICOM FD DISP. The talkgroup in the GLG command (35568) is programmed as TAL FD CMD. This was logged during a call dispatch. At this time, the two talkgroups are patched together.

              UPMan, what is the likelyhood of getting this addressed? The GLG command on a 396T doesn't exhibit this behavior.

              Thanks,
              Frank

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, <dmccorm@...> wrote:

              > Could be that you have found a problem then. I suspect it should report the same information that is fed to the display. The information should be the same in the reported data as is in the protocol, no matter what display mode is toggled.
              >
              > ---- fleidy@... wrote:
              > > My bad. Was trying to type fast and put OPEN instead of search. I should clarify. I am using display mode 2. The pactch information shows on the second LARGE line. The line below it shows the talkgroup ID (in mode 2). It is that line that is not in sync with the GLG command (used by most programs for reception status).
              > >
              > > I believe the issue is larger. Even in ID SCAN mode, I've seen the same thing. Some times the Fire and EMS dispatch channels (3696 and 4016, respectively) are patched together during dispatches. The PC protocol logs 4016 as FIRE DISP. I suspect something is wrong with the way the GLG command reports status.
              > >
              > > It almost looks like the firmware is using the patch info to log the command, instead of using the channel grant itself to log and send the GLG response. But, that's just the programmer in me. I've been studying the code for Trunker way too much. :)
              > >
              > > The software I use (Proscan) shows the raw PC protocol data. I'll try and grab a sample of the STS (display status) and GLG (reception status) when they are out of sync.
              > >
              > > ---- dmccorm@... wrote:
              > > > By "open mode" you must be talking about ID-Search. Open mode is a GRE term.
              > > > The 396 Classic would not display patched talkgroups, the XT does. As for the protocol, I suspect that it doesn't report just the patch, but does report the associated talkgroups as reported by active control channel as it sees it.

            • Frank Leidy
              Message 6 of 8 , May 22 1:04 PM
                Paul,
                Have you had a chance to take a look at this?

                Thanks,
                Frank

                > I've been able to confrim that there is a problem with the information
                > reported by the STS and GLG protocol commands. I set up a quick little
                > program to send GLG and STS commands in sequence every 1/2 second. It
                > reports any time the talkgroupID in the GLG command doesn't match the
                > talkgroupID displayed. Once a mismatch is found, it logs the time and the
                > entire contents of both messages. Here's an example (sorry if it wraps
                > lines):
                >
                > ---------------5/9/2009 10:44:16 AM---------------
                > GLG,35568,NFM,0,0,Summit County800,Suburb Fire,TRICOM FD
                > DISP,1,0,NONE,NONE,NONE
                >
                > STS,011000, ?? ,,Summit County800,,TRICOM FD DISP ,,35408
                > ,,S1:*******--- ,,GRP-*****---- ,,1,0,0,0,,,5,WHITE,0
                >
                > The display is correct. Talkgroup 35408 is programmed as TRICOM FD DISP.
                > The talkgroup in the GLG command (35568) is programmed as TAL FD CMD.
                > This was logged during a call dispatch. At this time, the two talkgroups
                > are patched together.
                >
                > UPMan, what is the likelyhood of getting this addressed? The GLG command
                > on a 396T doesn't exhibit this behavior.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Frank
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Could be that you have found a problem then. I suspect it should report
                >> the same information that is fed to the display. The information should
                >> be the same in the reported data as is in the protocol, no matter what
                >> display mode is toggled.
                >>
                >> ---- fleidy@... wrote:
                >> > My bad. Was trying to type fast and put OPEN instead of search. I
                >> > should clarify. I am using display mode 2. The pactch information
                >> > shows on the second LARGE line. The line below it shows the talkgroup
                >> > ID (in mode 2). It is that line that is not in sync with the GLG
                >> > command (used by most programs for reception status).
                >> >
                >> > I believe the issue is larger. Even in ID SCAN mode, I've seen the
                >> > same thing. Some times the Fire and EMS dispatch channels (3696 and
                >> > 4016, respectively) are patched together during dispatches. The PC
                >> > protocol logs 4016 as FIRE DISP. I suspect something is wrong with the
                >> > way the GLG command reports status.
                >> >
                >> > It almost looks like the firmware is using the patch info to log the
                >> > command, instead of using the channel grant itself to log and send the
                >> > GLG response. But, that's just the programmer in me. I've been
                >> > studying the code for Trunker way too much. :)
                >> >
                >> > The software I use (Proscan) shows the raw PC protocol data. I'll try
                >> > and grab a sample of the STS (display status) and GLG (reception
                >> > status) when they are out of sync.

              • Uniden UPMan
                Message 7 of 8 , May 22 1:44 PM
                  I can't duplicate it from here (no patches). Awaiting engineering study.
                   UPMan

                  ________________________________
                  Have you had a chance to take a look at this?

                  Thanks,
                  Frank

                  > I've been able to confrim that there is a problem with the information
                  > reported by the STS and GLG protocol commands. I set up a quick little
                  > program to send GLG and STS commands in sequence every 1/2 second. It
                  > reports any time the talkgroupID in the GLG command doesn't match the
                  > talkgroupID displayed. Once a mismatch is found, it logs the time and the
                  > entire contents of both messages. Here's an example (sorry if it wraps
                  > lines):
                  >
                  > ------------ ---5/9/2009 10:44:16 AM---------- -----
                  > GLG,35568,NFM, 0,0,Summit County800,Suburb Fire,TRICOM FD
                  > DISP,1,0,NONE, NONE,NONE
                  >
                  > STS,011000, ?? ,,Summit County800,,TRICOM FD DISP ,,35408
                  > ,,S1:******* --- ,,GRP-*****- --- ,,1,0,0,0,,, 5,WHITE,0
                  >
                  > The display is correct. Talkgroup 35408 is programmed as TRICOM FD DISP.
                  > The talkgroup in the GLG command (35568) is programmed as TAL FD CMD.
                  > This was logged during a call dispatch. At this time, the two talkgroups
                  > are patched together.
                  >
                  > UPMan, what is the likelyhood of getting this addressed? The GLG command
                  > on a 396T doesn't exhibit this behavior.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Frank
                  >
                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, <dmccorm@... > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Could be that you have found a problem then. I suspect it should report
                  >> the same information that is fed to the display. The information should
                  >> be the same in the reported data as is in the protocol, no matter what
                  >> display mode is toggled.
                  >>
                  >> ---- fleidy@... wrote:
                  >> > My bad. Was trying to type fast and put OPEN instead of search. I
                  >> > should clarify. I am using display mode 2. The pactch information
                  >> > shows on the second LARGE line. The line below it shows the talkgroup
                  >> > ID (in mode 2). It is that line that is not in sync with the GLG
                  >> > command (used by most programs for reception status).
                  >> >
                  >> > I believe the issue is larger. Even in ID SCAN mode, I've seen the
                  >> > same thing. Some times the Fire and EMS dispatch channels (3696 and
                  >> > 4016, respectively) are patched together during dispatches. The PC
                  >> > protocol logs 4016 as FIRE DISP. I suspect something is wrong with the
                  >> > way the GLG command reports status.
                  >> >
                  >> > It almost looks like the firmware is using the patch info to log the
                  >> > command, instead of using the channel grant itself to log and send the
                  >> > GLG response. But, that's just the programmer in me. I've been
                  >> > studying the code for Trunker way too much. :)
                  >> >
                  >> > The software I use (Proscan) shows the raw PC protocol data. I'll try
                  >> > and grab a sample of the STS (display status) and GLG (reception
                  >> > status) when they are out of sync.

                • J. Newell
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 22 2:03 PM
                    I have been seeing incorrect PLs logged on conventional channels - PLs logged for conventional channels for which no PL is set and for which no PL is appropriate.  I was assuming that this was a problem with the software rather than the radio and its firmware.  Is it possible that this is related?

                    John Newell