Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Disabling Battery Charging?

  • JAN FINE
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
      Yes, you can run the scanner with no batteries in it.

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
        1. Correct. There is no way to reliably detect full charge when charging NiMH cells in series (or when charging single cells at less than about a ..5C rate).

        2. Yes, but I don't know why you wouldn't just set the switch in the battery compartment to ALKALINE in this scenario.
         UPMan

        ________________________________

        ------------ --

        At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

        >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
        >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
        >
        > UPMan

      • Richard A. Victor
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
          If the low-battery alert or cutoff level doesn't change, is it merely
          based on the voltage dropping below a certain value?

          If that's the case, I would think that it's going to give the alert
          at rather different times in terms of remaining battery life
          depending on the type of batteries in use given that alkaline and
          NiMH have different discharge curves.

          Am I in error?

          Dick

          BTW, it seems to me that generally charging the batteries outside the
          radio and setting the battery charge time at 1 hour is unlikely to
          hurt the batteries given the low charge rate unless one keeps
          restarting that 1 hour period by disconnecting and reconnecting the
          external power frequently. Even the best external chargers continue
          with a trickle charge following complete charging.

        • SRehm24416@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
            Thank you UPMan. I don't know why?also on question 2 but if I wanted to I wanted to make sure it was OK and charge the batts outside the unit. Have a great day.

            jeff

            At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

            >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
            >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
            >
            > UPMan

            -

          • Paul Opitz
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
              It is based on the battery voltage dropping below a certain value. The value selected provides for pretty much dead alkalines and not quite dead NiMH. You don't really want to run NiMH down to dead...especially in series. If one cell goes dead before the others, it can reverse, which quickly ruins the cell and can cause catastrophic problems during rapid charging.

              The voltage curve during discharge on a NiMH is pretty much flat until it is dead (after an initial drop). Alkalines have more of a constant downward slope.

              ________________________________
              If the low-battery alert or cutoff level doesn't change, is it merely
              based on the voltage dropping below a certain value?

              If that's the case, I would think that it's going to give the alert
              at rather different times in terms of remaining battery life
              depending on the type of batteries in use given that alkaline and
              NiMH have different discharge curves.

              Am I in error?

              Dick

              BTW, it seems to me that generally charging the batteries outside the
              radio and setting the battery charge time at 1 hour is unlikely to
              hurt the batteries given the low charge rate unless one keeps
              restarting that 1 hour period by disconnecting and reconnecting the
              external power frequently. Even the best external chargers continue
              with a trickle charge following complete charging.

              At 03:13 PM 4/29/2009, UPMan wrote:
              >Yes, I have. Including the post where I said that if the unit was
              >behaving as described, something was wrong with the unit.
              >The switch does not change the low-battery alert or cutoff level.
              > UPMan

            • Richard A. Victor
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things like
                this. For me it adds to the enjoyment of the scanner to understand
                what's going on.

                73
                Dick

                At 09:25 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                >It is based on the battery voltage dropping below a certain value.
                >The value selected provides for pretty much dead alkalines and not
                >quite dead NiMH. You don't really want to run NiMH down to
                >dead...especially in series. If one cell goes dead before the
                >others, it can reverse, which quickly ruins the cell and can cause
                >catastrophic problems during rapid charging.
                >
                >The voltage curve during discharge on a NiMH is pretty much flat
                >until it is dead (after an initial drop). Alkalines have more of a
                >constant downward slope.

              • yaesufanatic
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 30, 2009
                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrhayes" <ted.hayes@...> wrote:

                  > I like to plug it in when I'm in a stationary location for an extended period (e.g., at my desk when I'm working, at night when I place it on my bed-stand) rather than run the batteries down (and needing carrying an extra set).
                  >
                  > I don't want to bother taking the batteries out when I plug it in.

                  Maybe Upman can confirm this thought. If the 396xt is plugged in, with NiMh batteries in it and the radio is turned on - I doubt if the batteries would charge at a high rate. Problems with charging batteries in equipment usually occur over long periods of time. Most I have heard are involving lithium cells not NiMh batteries. I have never had a charging issue with my radio being used as a charger. I am curious as to how many group members have actually experienced problems. It might be the issues over laptops and cell phones are getting confused with the radios.
                • bob smith
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 30, 2009
                    What you could do is flip the switch in the battery back to alkline battery. Then plug in the ac adapter and it won't charge the battery. Then when you want to charge the battery flip the switch to the other side. Then plug in the ac adapter and it will charge the batteries.