Disabling Battery Charging?

  • tedrhayes
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 28, 2009
      Just received my 396XT. On my 396T I was able to disable charging, but I can't remember how it was done, and I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.

      Even though I use NiMH, I prefer to charge them in an external charger. If you set the switch to Alkaline it disables charging, but I believe it misinterprets the battery voltage and reports as low battery.

      I'm assuming the 396XT has the same capability to disable internal battery charging.

      Does any one know how to do it?

      Ted

      P.S. Can't wait for the Butel Software - programming the 396XT by hand is a real pain
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
        It's the hardware switch behind the batteries. Set it to ALKALINE and it
        will not try charging the cells.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
          I'm aware of the hardware switch - as I stated, on the 396T, when I used NiMH batteries in the scanner with the switch set to Alkaline, the batteries would not be charged if I plug the power cord in, but if I ran with out the external power, the scanner would prematurely report "low battery" because I believe it was misinterpreting the battery voltage.

          I know there is a way to disable charging regardless of the setting of the hardware switch - I know because I did it - though I can't remember exactly how. I believe it was some combination of held keys while the scanner was turned on or the power cord was plugged in - just can't remember or find it in the manual.

          My question/assumption is that the 396XT has the same capability, just trying to find it.

          Thanks

          > It's the hardware switch behind the batteries. Set it to ALKALINE and it
          > will not try charging the cells.
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > tedrhayes wrote:
          > > Just received my 396XT. On my 396T I was able to disable charging, but I can't remember how it was done, and I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.
          > >
          > > Even though I use NiMH, I prefer to charge them in an external charger. If you set the switch to Alkaline it disables charging, but I believe it misinterprets the battery voltage and reports as low battery.
          > >
          > > I'm assuming the 396XT has the same capability to disable internal battery charging.
          > >
          > > Does any one know how to do it?
          > >
          > > Ted
          > >
          > > P.S. Can't wait for the Butel Software - programming the 396XT by hand is a real pain

        • Paul Opitz
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
            There is no way to turn off charging other than using the switch on either model. Your BCD396T was broken if behaving as described.

            ________________________________

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

            > It's the hardware switch behind the batteries. Set it to ALKALINE and it
            > will not try charging the cells.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > tedrhayes wrote:
            > > Just received my 396XT. On my 396T I was able to disable charging, but I can't remember how it was done, and I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.
            > >
            > > Even though I use NiMH, I prefer to charge them in an external charger. If you set the switch to Alkaline it disables charging, but I believe it misinterprets the battery voltage and reports as low battery.
            > >
            > > I'm assuming the 396XT has the same capability to disable internal battery charging.
            > >
            > > Does any one know how to do it?
            > >
            > > Ted
            > >
            > > P.S. Can't wait for the Butel Software - programming the 396XT by hand is a real pain

          • Richard A. Victor
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
              It may have been "misinterpreting the battery voltage" because you
              told it that you were using alkaline batteries while you were
              actually using NiMH batteries. The voltage characteristics of the
              batteries are different.

              Dick

              At 07:24 AM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
              >I'm aware of the hardware switch - as I stated, on the 396T, when I
              >used NiMH batteries in the scanner with the switch set to Alkaline,
              >the batteries would not be charged if I plug the power cord in, but
              >if I ran with out the external power, the scanner would prematurely
              >report "low battery" because I believe it was misinterpreting the
              >battery voltage.
              >
              >I know there is a way to disable charging regardless of the setting
              >of the hardware switch - I know because I did it - though I can't
              >remember exactly how. I believe it was some combination of held
              >keys while the scanner was turned on or the power cord was plugged
              >in - just can't remember or find it in the manual.
              >
              >My question/assumption is that the 396XT has the same capability,
              >just trying to find it.
              >
              >Thanks
              >
              >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It's the hardware switch behind the batteries. Set it to ALKALINE and it
              > > will not try charging the cells.
              > >
              > > Joe M.
              > >
              > > tedrhayes wrote:
              > > > Just received my 396XT. On my 396T I was able to disable
              > charging, but I can't remember how it was done, and I can't find it
              > anywhere in the manuals.
              > > >
              > > > Even though I use NiMH, I prefer to charge them in an external
              > charger. If you set the switch to Alkaline it disables charging,
              > but I believe it misinterprets the battery voltage and reports as low battery.
              > > >
              > > > I'm assuming the 396XT has the same capability to disable
              > internal battery charging.
              > > >
              > > > Does any one know how to do it?
              > > >
              > > > Ted
              > > >
              > > > P.S. Can't wait for the Butel Software - programming the 396XT
              > by hand is a real pain
            • tedrhayes
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                I guess its just another attack of "SomeTimers" desease - thought for sure I took specific steps to disable battery charging on the 396T.

                Thanks,

                Ted

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                > There is no way to turn off charging other than using the switch on either model. Your BCD396T was broken if behaving as described.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • J. Newell
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                  Possibly a goofy idea - but what happens if you go into the Setttings menu and set the charge time for 00 hours?

                  John Newell

                  There is no way to turn off charging other than using the switch on either model. Your BCD396T was broken if behaving as described.

                  ________________________________
                  I'm aware of the hardware switch - as I stated, on the 396T, when I used NiMH batteries in the scanner with the switch set to Alkaline, the batteries would not be charged if I plug the power cord in, but if I ran with out the external power, the scanner would prematurely report "low battery" because I believe it was misinterpreting the battery voltage.

                  I know there is a way to disable charging regardless of the setting of the hardware switch - I know because I did it - though I can't remember exactly how. I believe it was some combination of held keys while the scanner was turned on or the power cord was plugged in - just can't remember or find it in the manual.

                  My question/assumption is that the 396XT has the same capability, just trying to find it.

                  Thanks

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

                  > It's the hardware switch behind the batteries. Set it to ALKALINE and it
                  > will not try charging the cells.
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > tedrhayes wrote:
                  > > Just received my 396XT. On my 396T I was able to disable charging, but I can't remember how it was done, and I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.
                  > >
                  > > Even though I use NiMH, I prefer to charge them in an external charger. If you set the switch to Alkaline it disables charging, but I believe it misinterprets the battery voltage and reports as low battery.
                  > >
                  > > I'm assuming the 396XT has the same capability to disable internal battery charging.
                  > >
                  > > Does any one know how to do it?
                  > >
                  > > Ted
                  > >
                  > > P.S. Can't wait for the Butel Software - programming the 396XT by hand is a real pain

                • Richard Yoo
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                    After reading part of this thread, I had tried this... if you set the charge
                    time to 00 it kicks back and says that minimum time is one hour.

                    I have a hunch that this can be solved with a future firmware update...

                    Does anyone know how we submit a feature request?

                    -Richard

                    ---
                    Visit my blog at http://www.richardyoo.com
                    Share your photos at http://www.natuba.com

                    On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM, J. Newell <john.o.newell@...>wrote:

                    > Possibly a goofy idea - but what happens if you go into the Setttings menu
                    > and set the charge time for 00 hours?
                    >
                    > John Newell

                  • Uniden UPMan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                      I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to set it to the minimum value (1 hour).

                       UPMan

                      ________________________________

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                        If you do not want the battery to charge, set the switch to ALKALINE. There is no need to change the firmware...
                         UPMan

                        ________________________________

                        On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM, J. Newell <john.o.newell@ comcast.net>wrote:

                        > Possibly a goofy idea - but what happens if you go into the Setttings menu
                        > and set the charge time for 00 hours?
                        >
                        > John Newell

                      • Richard Yoo
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                          UPman - you haven't been keeping up with the thread.

                          If you set the switch to Alkaline, yes it won't charge, but if you put
                          rechargeables in, the low-batt will kick in too early since its calibrated
                          for Alkaline batteries.

                          If you set it to rechargeable, it the low-batt will kick in correctly, but
                          he doesn't want the batteries charged as he'd prefer to use an standalone
                          smart charger for his batteries.

                          So yes, I think a firmware change would solve this issue. Either by allowing
                          the user to set the battery charge time to 0, or disable battery
                          charnging... or allowing the user to set when the low-battery alert kicks
                          in.

                          -Richard

                          ---

                          On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...>wrote:

                          > If you do not want the battery to charge, set the switch to ALKALINE. There
                          > is no need to change the firmware...
                          > UPMan
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Clark Rennie
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                            The original poster stated he doesn't charge the batteries in the scanner
                            but with an external charger. So why would he need an option to disable
                            battery charging ? Just don't connect the power supply to the scanner.
                            Am I missing something ?

                            Clark

                            At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

                            >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                            >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                            >
                            > UPMan
                          • Uniden UPMan
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                              Yes, I have. Including the post where I said that if the unit was behaving as described, something was wrong with the unit.
                              The switch does not change the low-battery alert or cutoff level.
                               UPMan

                              ________________________________

                              On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Uniden UPMan <uniden..upman@ yahoo.com>wrote:

                              > If you do not want the battery to charge, set the switch to ALKALINE. There
                              > is no need to change the firmware...
                              > UPMan
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ __

                            • tedrhayes
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                I like to plug it in when I'm in a stationary location for an extended period (e.g., at my desk when I'm working, at night when I place it on my bed-stand) rather than run the batteries down (and needing carrying an extra set).

                                I don't want to bother taking the batteries out when I plug it in.

                                Ted

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Clark Rennie <c.rennie1@...> wrote:

                                > The original poster stated he doesn't charge the batteries in the scanner
                                > but with an external charger. So why would he need an option to disable
                                > battery charging ? Just don't connect the power supply to the scanner.
                                > Am I missing something ?
                                >
                                > Clark
                                >

                                > At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                                > >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                                > >
                                > > UPMan

                              • Eric
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                  Yes. Running the unit off of the "wall-wart" and saving the charge of
                                  the batteries, but retaining the option of "yanking the plug" and going
                                  out the door without first inserting batteries. Putting the switch in
                                  the "alkaline" position works well with the "beeper" killed.

                                • Don.Curtis@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                    So you can plug it in and run it off of line power and not discharge the batteries, so that when you unplug it, your batteries will still be as charged as they were when you plugged it in. I do this, I charge the batteries in an external charger and not via the radio's charger, yet plug it in when I'm working so i don't run the batteries down when I don't need to.

                                    -------------- Original message from Clark Rennie <c.rennie1@...>: --------------

                                  • SRehm24416@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                      Two questions.

                                      1. From what I have read the charge time is just that. A time. Is that correct? There is no sensor that detects whether the batteries are fully charged, partially charged or dead. It just charges till the clock runs out?

                                      2. Can you run the scanner with the wall wart with no batteries in the scanner? That way you can externally charge the batteris if you want and still have power to the scanner.

                                      Thanks
                                      jeff

                                      --------------

                                      At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

                                      >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                                      >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                                      >
                                      > UPMan

                                    • JAN FINE

                                        At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

                                        >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                                        >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                                        >
                                        > UPMan

                                      • Uniden UPMan
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                          1. Correct. There is no way to reliably detect full charge when charging NiMH cells in series (or when charging single cells at less than about a ..5C rate).

                                          2. Yes, but I don't know why you wouldn't just set the switch in the battery compartment to ALKALINE in this scenario.
                                           UPMan

                                          ________________________________

                                          ------------ --

                                          At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

                                          >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                                          >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                                          >
                                          > UPMan

                                        • Richard A. Victor
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                            If the low-battery alert or cutoff level doesn't change, is it merely
                                            based on the voltage dropping below a certain value?

                                            If that's the case, I would think that it's going to give the alert
                                            at rather different times in terms of remaining battery life
                                            depending on the type of batteries in use given that alkaline and
                                            NiMH have different discharge curves.

                                            Am I in error?

                                            Dick

                                            BTW, it seems to me that generally charging the batteries outside the
                                            radio and setting the battery charge time at 1 hour is unlikely to
                                            hurt the batteries given the low charge rate unless one keeps
                                            restarting that 1 hour period by disconnecting and reconnecting the
                                            external power frequently. Even the best external chargers continue
                                            with a trickle charge following complete charging.

                                          • SRehm24416@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                              Thank you UPMan. I don't know why?also on question 2 but if I wanted to I wanted to make sure it was OK and charge the batts outside the unit. Have a great day.

                                              jeff

                                              At 12:43 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

                                              >I will tell you that the selection is out of range and ask if you want to
                                              >set it to the minimum value (1 hour).
                                              >
                                              > UPMan

                                              -

                                            • Paul Opitz
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                It is based on the battery voltage dropping below a certain value. The value selected provides for pretty much dead alkalines and not quite dead NiMH. You don't really want to run NiMH down to dead...especially in series. If one cell goes dead before the others, it can reverse, which quickly ruins the cell and can cause catastrophic problems during rapid charging.

                                                The voltage curve during discharge on a NiMH is pretty much flat until it is dead (after an initial drop). Alkalines have more of a constant downward slope.

                                                ________________________________
                                                If the low-battery alert or cutoff level doesn't change, is it merely
                                                based on the voltage dropping below a certain value?

                                                If that's the case, I would think that it's going to give the alert
                                                at rather different times in terms of remaining battery life
                                                depending on the type of batteries in use given that alkaline and
                                                NiMH have different discharge curves.

                                                Am I in error?

                                                Dick

                                                BTW, it seems to me that generally charging the batteries outside the
                                                radio and setting the battery charge time at 1 hour is unlikely to
                                                hurt the batteries given the low charge rate unless one keeps
                                                restarting that 1 hour period by disconnecting and reconnecting the
                                                external power frequently. Even the best external chargers continue
                                                with a trickle charge following complete charging.

                                                At 03:13 PM 4/29/2009, UPMan wrote:
                                                >Yes, I have. Including the post where I said that if the unit was
                                                >behaving as described, something was wrong with the unit.
                                                >The switch does not change the low-battery alert or cutoff level.
                                                > UPMan

                                              • Richard A. Victor
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                  Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things like
                                                  this. For me it adds to the enjoyment of the scanner to understand
                                                  what's going on.

                                                  73
                                                  Dick

                                                  At 09:25 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                                                  >It is based on the battery voltage dropping below a certain value.
                                                  >The value selected provides for pretty much dead alkalines and not
                                                  >quite dead NiMH. You don't really want to run NiMH down to
                                                  >dead...especially in series. If one cell goes dead before the
                                                  >others, it can reverse, which quickly ruins the cell and can cause
                                                  >catastrophic problems during rapid charging.
                                                  >
                                                  >The voltage curve during discharge on a NiMH is pretty much flat
                                                  >until it is dead (after an initial drop). Alkalines have more of a
                                                  >constant downward slope.

                                                • yaesufanatic
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "tedrhayes" <ted.hayes@...> wrote:

                                                    > I like to plug it in when I'm in a stationary location for an extended period (e.g., at my desk when I'm working, at night when I place it on my bed-stand) rather than run the batteries down (and needing carrying an extra set).
                                                    >
                                                    > I don't want to bother taking the batteries out when I plug it in.

                                                    Maybe Upman can confirm this thought. If the 396xt is plugged in, with NiMh batteries in it and the radio is turned on - I doubt if the batteries would charge at a high rate. Problems with charging batteries in equipment usually occur over long periods of time. Most I have heard are involving lithium cells not NiMh batteries. I have never had a charging issue with my radio being used as a charger. I am curious as to how many group members have actually experienced problems. It might be the issues over laptops and cell phones are getting confused with the radios.
                                                  • bob smith
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                      What you could do is flip the switch in the battery back to alkline battery. Then plug in the ac adapter and it won't charge the battery. Then when you want to charge the battery flip the switch to the other side. Then plug in the ac adapter and it will charge the batteries.