Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
      funds toward the XT.

      Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
      lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
      pretty good 'flame'.

      Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
      feature every release.

      What else do you think should be on the XT?

      Joe M.

      Mike Iszak wrote:
      > Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
      >
      > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
      >
      > If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
      >
      > But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

    • Mike Iszak
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

        They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

        The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

        I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          Threaded...

          Mike Iszak wrote:
          > How about patch support?

          Can you give details? Patches are receivable on the current models.

          > How about trunking based on System ID?

          That would be nice, but I've never heard that it's a big problem except
          during band openings. (when you hear other control channels on the local
          system's alternate CC frequencies)

          > How about making it not suck for intermod?

          Uniden has never been known for that - especially compared to the
          competition.

          > How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

          That would require an increase in the size of the unit. I like the fact
          that it can fit in my shirt pocket and my audio doesn't sound anything
          close to any cellphone I've ever heard. Maybe you have a bad speaker.

          > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

          Every single feature announced makes it more usable - especially the
          increased channel capacity - more than 4 times the current model!

          > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

          There's an assumption I'm not going to address. I think they have always
          increased the feature set - regardless of what the competition does.

          You can ALWAYS trash a unit for not having every possible feature in
          earlier models. But, if they released a 'perfect scanner', they would be
          out of business in 5 years because they would have no work left to do.

          > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

          And again, what other than the few features you mentioned are missing?
          What could have been added yet keep the price in line with the current
          market?

          > From: MCH <mch@...>
          >
          > Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:22:07
          > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld
          > Scanners
          >

          > $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
          > funds toward the XT.
          >
          > Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
          > lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
          > pretty good 'flame'.
          >
          > Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
          > feature every release.
          >
          > What else do you think should be on the XT?
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > Mike Iszak wrote:
          >> Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
          >>
          >> The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
          >>
          >> If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
          >>
          >> But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

        • donc113
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
            talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
            features.

            I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
            for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
            for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.

            Don

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...> wrote:

            > Close call Do Not Disturb...
            > EDACS ESK..
            >
            > thats about it
            > (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
            > 396XT.
            >
            > Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.
            >

            > Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

          • donc113
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
              Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
              believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
              better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
              channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
                discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                  Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                  There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.
                  Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
                  believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
                  better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
                  channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                  > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How
                  about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that
                  doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                  > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
                  rather than look pretty.

                  > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have
                  been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because
                  of the GRE offering.

                  > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
                  trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell
                  the technology or else get left behind.

                • uniden.upman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                    It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
                    knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
                    ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
                    comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
                    high RF areas.

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                    > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
                    would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
                    My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
                    a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                    > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
                    wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                  • johnstark
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                      never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
                      GRE's....

                      > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
                      > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
                      > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
                      > or near a cellphone site.
                      >
                      > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
                      > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                    • kayi4cle
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                        So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
                        you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
                        Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
                        understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
                        hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
                      • pmanu44
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT