WX Operation

  • Dan Faenza
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 23 5:40 PM
      Question about the WX alert. When I have the WX alert set to "ON" and I go back the "scan" mode the WX symbol shows up in the lower right corner. That's how I know it's on. I'm noticing the I'm losing signal for whatever I'm scanning for a few moments every few seconds. Is this happening because it's temporarily switching into "WX" mode to check for a message?

      -Dan F

    • Don Curtis
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 23 7:30 PM
        The alert tone....yes. I'm not 100% sure of that since I don't have an xt, but the 396T works that way.

        Question about the WX alert. When I have the WX alert set to "ON" and I go back the "scan" mode the WX symbol shows up in the lower right corner. That's how I know it's on. I'm noticing the I'm losing signal for whatever I'm scanning for a few moments every few seconds. Is this happening because it's temporarily switching into "WX" mode to check for a message?

        -Dan F

      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 23 7:48 PM
          Yes..... it is just like having a priority on.

          JS

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 23 9:09 PM
            Exactly.

            Joe M.

            Dan Faenza wrote:
            > Question about the WX alert. When I have the WX alert set to "ON" and I go back the "scan" mode the WX symbol shows up in the lower right corner. That's how I know it's on. I'm noticing the I'm losing signal for whatever I'm scanning for a few moments every few seconds. Is this happening because it's temporarily switching into "WX" mode to check for a message?
            >
            > -Dan F

          • Dan Faenza
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 23 9:23 PM
              Copy. So I guess I'm only going to turn on the WX alert scan when I need to...not on a beautiful sunny day.

              It's all coming together!

              -Dan F.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23 9:48 PM
                Specifically, what it is looking for is the 8-second long 1050 Hz alert
                tone that comes with weather alerts on the weather channels. That's what
                it's doing during that gap.

                I only use it when I'm particularly concerned about severe weather.

                Joe M.

                Dan Faenza wrote:
                > Copy. So I guess I'm only going to turn on the WX alert scan when I need to...not on a beautiful sunny day.
                >
                > It's all coming together!
                >
                > -Dan F.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • ccm4181
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                  I've been trying to get my BCD396XT to use the weather radio function. Every time I set it to WX Primary it will cause the Police Scanner part to cut during the middle of conversations. Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to be doing this?
                • David Johnson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                    Sounds normal. It is periodically going off to see if there is
                    activity on the weather channel. Exactly the same as using priority.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                      That is normal. It is sampling the weather
                      channel to see if there is an alert tone present.

                      Joe M.

                      ccm4181 wrote:
                      > I've been trying to get my BCD396XT to use the weather radio function. Every time I set it to WX Primary it will cause the Police Scanner part to cut during the middle of conversations. Am I doing something wrong or is it normal to be doing this?

                    • Jeffry Rehm
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                        Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is a little bothersome.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                          Is it a larger delay on analog channels or only digital? There is a
                          time delay when reacquiring a digital stream and starting the D-A
                          conversion.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
                            Ok. It seems like at one time I was using it wasn't breaking into the conversations.

                            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeffry Rehm <scanman1958@...> wrote:

                            > Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is a little bothersome.

                          • Milton Engle
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
                              The radio can only do one thing at a time. If it is scanning through a list
                              of programmed frequencies, following a trunked system, whatever it can only
                              perform one task at a time and each task involves a certain amount of time.
                              If we are receiving a signal on an analog frequency with weather priority
                              turned on, every 6 seconds (default) the radio will stop receiving, switch
                              to the weather channel, listen for the alerting signal; if heard it will
                              stay on the channel, if not it will return to the previous channel where the
                              conversation we were initially receiving may or may not still be taking
                              place. If a trunked system is involved there is another step involving
                              checking the trunked control channels in an analog or P25 system before
                              switching to the active voice channel. The time to accomplish each task is
                              relatively small, but those small bits of time for each individual task
                              start to add up quickly.

                              One of my biggest gripes is how the manufacturers keep putting more and more
                              "features" into products but not fully explaining that each "feature" has
                              other dependancies that limit it's usage.

                              Keep the WX Priority turned off. If you need to keep an eye on the weather
                              I strongly suggest a dedicated WX receiver.

                              Another "feature" that falls into the same catagory is the Fire Tone-out
                              function. It causes the scanner to mimic the function of a two-tone paging
                              receiver. This function cannot be used with scanning. So now your
                              "scanner" is actually nothing more than a single channel receiver with
                              two-tone decode capabilities and no alerting function. Here again, if you
                              need this sort of dedicated alerting capability get a pager.

                              Ok. It seems like at one time I was using it wasn't breaking into the
                              conversations.

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeffry Rehm <scanman1958@...> wrote:

                              > Yes it is normal but on this scanner it is a bit more obvious than other
                              > scanners that have been made in the past. I have quite a few scanners that
                              > have WX priority and yes they too have the pause in regular radio traffic
                              > when it checks for WX warnings. But the 396 seems to have a pretty major
                              > "check" that can not be adjusted. To some people it is OK, to others it is
                              > a little bothersome.

                            • Uniden UPMan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
                                Weather Priority has been in scanners for 20 years, and has always worked the same way. We do try to cover this in the user's guide...it is actually on the front page:
                                http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals#Common_Questions

                                Unfortunately, the DND mode we've added for Priority on our latest models won't work for Weather. There is an 8-second window during which time NOAA transmits the 1050 Hz tone. You must sample often enough that you hit inside that window.

                                UpMan

                              • Uniden UPMan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
                                  I've also updated the Tone-Out pages to more explicitly state that you can't FTO while scanning.
                                  http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ToneOutMode

                                  UpMan