GPS Feature

  • tuckyguy
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 18, 2009
      I am a fairly inexperienced user compared to the experts I see here. I have seen no discussion in regards to using the GPS.
      I am excited to have the BCD396XT, and know I have a lot to learn. I have had pretty good success programming it using a few different applications I downloaded. I believe I have even been able to determine GPS coordinates and have them entered. I am waiting for a compatible GPS device to become available soon. I have a DeLorme Earthmate GPS LT-20, but have had no success getting it to work with this scanner. It's a few years old, but I thought what the heck and try it.
      What GPS receivers are compatible with the BCD396XT?
      I am interested in hearing from those more familiar in this area who may be able to throw in their 2 cents with hints, tips, etc.

      Thanks,
      tuckyguy
    • tuckyguy
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 26, 2009
        I am a fairly inexperienced user compared to the experts I see here.
        I have seen no discussion in regards to using the GPS.
        I am excited to have the BCD396XT, and know I have a lot to learn. I have had pretty good success programming it using a few different applications I have downloaded. I believe I have even been able to determine GPS coordinates and have them entered. I am waiting for a compatible GPS device to become available soon.
        Can someone advise what GPS receivers are compatible with the BCD396XT?
        I am interested in hearing from those more familiar in this area who may be able to throw in their 2 cents with hints, tips, etc.

        Thanks,
        tuckyguy
      • Paul Opitz
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 26, 2009
          General information about compatible GPS units can be found here:
          http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ConnectingAGpsReceiver

          Some units that have been found to be compatible are listed here:
          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Location_Based_Scanning#Compatible_GPS_receivers

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 26, 2009
            Right here:
            http://www.scannermaster.com/GPS_Receiver_for_Uniden_Bearcat_BCT15_BCD996T_p/29-731177.htm

            Thats what I use and it works very well.

            JS

            >I am a fairly inexperienced user compared to the experts I see here.
            > I have seen no discussion in regards to using the GPS.
            > I am excited to have the BCD396XT, and know I have a lot to learn. I have
            > had pretty good success programming it using a few different applications
            > I have downloaded. I believe I have even been able to determine GPS
            > coordinates and have them entered. I am waiting for a compatible GPS
            > device to become available soon.
            > Can someone advise what GPS receivers are compatible with the BCD396XT?
            > I am interested in hearing from those more familiar in this area who may
            > be able to throw in their 2 cents with hints, tips, etc.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > tuckyguy

          • tuckyguy08
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 28, 2009
              Thanks to Paul and John for your prompt replies.
              I have researhed and finally ordered the Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit from Amazon.com
              I should be receiving it in a few days.
              Thanks again Paul & John!

              tuckyguy
            • tuckyguy08
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                I received my GPS device last night and it works great! One thing I had to overcome was baud rate. for the GPS to work, the baud rate has to be set to 4800. when I interface with my computer I use 115200, and that was my only hiccup.
                I went out for a drive and everything worked as envisioned.
                I no longer have to lock and unlock systems as I move from town to town. This is truly a BIG improvement over non-location based scanning.

                tuckyguy
              • johnstark
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a way
                  to change baud rate without going through the menus.

                • dmccorm@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                    That's a good idea given that it seems to be the GPSr standard (serial) baud rate.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                      The baud rate won't change, as 4800 is the NMEA standard. There is
                      nothing Uniden can do to improve it. But, has anyone ever had a problem
                      with GPS operating at 4800???

                      Joe M.

                      johnstark wrote:
                      > Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a way
                      > to change baud rate without going through the menus.
                      >
                      > John

                    • Uniden UPMan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                        He meant an easy way to flip the scanner to 4800.
                         UPMan

                        ________________________________

                        johnstark wrote:
                        > Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a way
                        > to change baud rate without going through the menus.
                        >
                        > John

                      • johnstark
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                          Actually a better idea is that when you plug the GPS in the scanner finds it
                          and automatically sets the baud rate to 4800 then when you unplug it it
                          reverts back to the previous setting so it's ready to go with software.
                          Unfortunately I don't think theres a way for it to tell the difference
                          between software and a GPS device, or it would have to be one specific GPS
                          device that was made for the scanner. I don't see that happening though.
                          I also don't see where we could grab another keypad combo to work it off
                          there without pushing something else to the menu in which case others
                          wouldn't like the setup, so I think were relegated to the menu's for
                          foreseeable future.

                          > That's a good idea given that it seems to be the GPSr standard (serial)
                          > baud rate.
                          >
                          > ---- johnstark <johnstark@...> wrote:
                          >> Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a
                          >> way
                          >> to change baud rate without going through the menus.
                          >>
                          >> John

                        • johnstark
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                            Were not say the speed is the problem, just how to change the speed....

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                              If it looks for some reply data, it might be able to tell it's there.
                              Most devices won't reply if they don't understand the command sent, or
                              they have a basic reply which is short.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                                I just use the rear connector for GPS and the front for control/prog.
                                I can't remember the last time I had to change the port speed.

                                But, I do wish the scanner had some programmable 'soft keys' that could
                                do whatever function you wanted. I could particularly use one set for
                                turning the CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH on or off, and another for setting NAC
                                SEARCH on. I also wish it could do both like the GRE models. All the
                                micro would have to do is switch (dare I say SCAN them) them until it
                                got a valid decode on one of them.

                                The soft keys are one of the features I think GRE has over Uniden.

                                Joe M.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                                  Yea - I see that now. :-]

                                  Joe M.

                                  Uniden UPMan wrote:
                                  > He meant an easy way to flip the scanner to 4800.
                                  > UPMan
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • johnstark
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 30, 2009
                                    Yeah, I always forget to switch it back and forth then wonder why whichever
                                    isn't working.... oldtimers is setting in I think.....

                                    johnstark wrote:
                                    > Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a way
                                    > to change baud rate without going through the menus.
                                    >
                                    > John

                                  • John Crowe
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                                      Paul;

                                      Have you considered adding Blu-Tooth to your GPS enabled Scanners?
                                      I realize it's another "radio" and in my ignorance there may be a simple reason why you can't, like maybe
                                      interference with the rest of the "scanning" ability...  but if possible it could solve the problem of
                                      RH-96, WITH GPS, wireless audio to Blu-tooth headsets etc...

                                      I sure would like to be able to throw my Blu Tooth GPS on the dash and just have it work!

                                      Just me thinking again...  Very dangerous indeed!

                                      Posted by: "johnstark" johnstark@...   inscan43
                                      Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:33 pm (PDT)

                                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                                      johnstark wrote:
                                      > Yup, GPS only works at 4800. It's one thing I'd like to see changed, a way
                                      > to change baud rate without going through the menus.
                                      >
                                      > John

                                    • tuckyguy08
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 3, 2009
                                        Does anyone know if there is a way to lock out channels unless a GPS is attached?
                                        When I am home, I am only interested in what is nearby me. This is true when I am driving, but the GPS manages it. At home without the GPS hooked up, EVERYTHING comes in.
                                        I need some way to tell the scanner I am home and go to a "home" mode.

                                        tuckyguy
                                      • JAN FINE

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 3, 2009
                                            I set up two different sets of systems: System assigned to Startup Key 1 are for GPS use and are all enabled/disabled by GPS (and are subdivided down to the patrol district). Systems assigned to Startup Key 2 are for at my desk and don't use GPS (and are "lumped together" more coarsely than the GPS ones). When I put it in the car, I press 1 while powering on to lockout the "desk" systems and unlock the "mobile" systems. Similarly, when I put it back on my desk, I hold 2 while powering on to lockout all the GPS systems and unlock the desk systems.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 3, 2009
                                              You could use the start up keys provided that the systems you want turned on
                                              are not already programmed to a start up key.

                                              Dewey

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 3, 2009
                                                Also some business and LTR repeaters that I only listen with the GPS I have under 1 quick key. The XT model radios provide you with a lot of choices to do a lot of the things that you want.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 3, 2009
                                                  The GPS will not control Quick Key status - it only uses the Lockout status.

                                                  As for the best solution, I would submit that the easiest solution is to
                                                  just use a cheap GPS at your house or maybe get a GPS data simulator for
                                                  a PC to feed the scanner 'fake location data'.

                                                  Joe M.

                                                  JAN FINE wrote:
                                                  > How about keeping the quick keys, for those systems you don't want to listen to at home. Leave those quick keys off. Then when you have the GPS connected it will turn them on. Another way is to use the Start up keys. Have 1 set of start up keys for when you are home.

                                                • tuckyguy08
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 4, 2009
                                                    Thanks to everyone who replied. I will try the solutions provided as soon as I finish working out a location range kink I am experiencing.
                                                    Somewhere between Freescan and my scanner, the ranges of my locations change from my desired settings of 3-5 miles to higher ranges, usually in a multiple of 8, such as 8 miles, 32 or 64 miles.
                                                    This is frustrating, but once I resolve it, I will tackle the generation of Systems with Startup Keys.

                                                    tuckyguy
                                                  • nocreativety
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 4, 2009
                                                      Actually this is a bug that occurs in .8E. It happens with conventional groups. However, the next version will fix this.

                                                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "tuckyguy08" <tuckyguy08@...> wrote:

                                                      > Thanks to everyone who replied. I will try the solutions provided as soon as I finish working out a location range kink I am experiencing.
                                                      > Somewhere between Freescan and my scanner, the ranges of my locations change from my desired settings of 3-5 miles to higher ranges, usually in a multiple of 8, such as 8 miles, 32 or 64 miles.
                                                      > This is frustrating, but once I resolve it, I will tackle the generation of Systems with Startup Keys.
                                                      >
                                                      > tuckyguy

                                                    • tuckyguy08
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 4, 2009
                                                        Thanks for the response. Any idea when the next version will be released?

                                                        tuckyguy
                                                      • nocreativety
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 4, 2009
                                                          A few more weeks and it will be ready to go with support for the new XT scanners as well.