Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Are we any closer to knowing the relase date for the 396XT?....and what about firmware?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 20, 2008
      Paul,

      As an add on to the previous question: Will the firmware be the same as the current 3.01 on the 396 or will it be a totally new and improved "beta tested" firmware? I think this is a very important and relevant question prior to the release of this expanded version of the 396. Thanks in advance!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 20, 2008
        While the firmware will certainly share some core code, it will be
        somewhat different in order to accomodate the new features and
        changes to the hardware architecture.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Brian <chicagostretch2002@...> wrote:

        > Paul,
        >
        > As an add on to the previous question: Will the firmware be the
        same as the current 3.01 on the 396 or will it be a totally new and
        improved "beta tested" firmware? I think this is a very important and
        relevant question prior to the release of this expanded version of
        the 396. Thanks in advance!

        > ________________________________

      • uniden.upman
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 20, 2008
          You'll see part of this reply twice (I hit send too soon).

          The new model will share a lot of core code with v3.01, but will, of
          course, be changed in order to accomodate the new feature set as well
          as the changes in hardware architecture.

          By the time the scanner is for sale, we'll have about 30-40 man
          months of beta testing behind us.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Brian <chicagostretch2002@...> wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > As an add on to the previous question: Will the firmware be the
          same as the current 3.01 on the 396 or will it be a totally new and
          improved "beta tested" firmware? I think this is a very important and
          relevant question prior to the release of this expanded version of
          the 396. Thanks in advance!

          > ________________________________

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 20, 2008
            OK, Thank you very much Paul!

            ________________________________
            You'll see part of this reply twice (I hit send too soon).

            The new model will share a lot of core code with v3.01, but will, of
            course, be changed in order to accomodate the new feature set as well
            as the changes in hardware architecture.

            By the time the scanner is for sale, we'll have about 30-40 man
            months of beta testing behind us.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, Brian <chicagostretch2002 @...> wrote:

            > Paul,
            >
            > As an add on to the previous question: Will the firmware be the
            same as the current 3.01 on the 396 or will it be a totally new and
            improved "beta tested" firmware? I think this is a very important and
            relevant question prior to the release of this expanded version of
            the 396. Thanks in advance!

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • roxie2401
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
              Paul,

              Any chance you could describe in a little more detain what you mean by
              "changes to the hardware architecture?"

              I keep thinking things like "multi-site" and "GPS" that were in the
              996 are more firmware core code but would like to know more about the
              hardware changes.

              Thanks
            • johnstark
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                If I remember correctly from other conversations among other things it has a
                different CPU with more memory as well as other new hardware to allow for
                FTO and other new functions like the GPS. All of these changes require
                redesign of the main circuit board or adding new boards.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                  One thing I can think of is the multi-color backlight. The current model
                  cannot physically do that. Also, I doubt there is a ton of extra memory
                  in the current unit let alone enough to quadruple the size. Those would
                  require hardware changes.

                  Joe M.

                  roxie2401 wrote:
                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > Any chance you could describe in a little more detain what you mean by
                  > "changes to the hardware architecture?"
                  >
                  > I keep thinking things like "multi-site" and "GPS" that were in the
                  > 996 are more firmware core code but would like to know more about the
                  > hardware changes.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                    But if the firmware doesn't work with some systems.....like the Statewide P25 TRS system in Illinois then all the extras and new boards don't mean Jack to us. UPMan has already reported (read back a few messages) that the firmware will be based off the recent 3.01....which I have already extensively tested here in Illinois and it is useless....so unless I read of some very compelling difference backed up by reputable listeners in the Chicago Metro area, then the 396XT won't be coming home with me. So for those whose listening is already great, the hardware changes will be well received and make it an even greater scanner.

                    ________________________________

                    > Any chance you could describe in a little more detain what you mean by
                    > "changes to the hardware architecture? "
                    >
                    > I keep thinking things like "multi-site" and "GPS" that were in the
                    > 996 are more firmware core code but would like to know more about the
                    > hardware changes.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                  • Matthew A. Zinicola
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                      Following the product release pattern of the 396 and 996, can we logically
                      deduce that once the portable platform (BCD396XT) becomes available, there
                      will be a BCD996XT to follow with the same/similar improvements over the
                      996?
                    • Peter Laws
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                        On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 14:51, Matthew A. Zinicola <matt@...> wrote:

                        > Following the product release pattern of the 396 and 996, can we logically
                        > deduce that once the portable platform (BCD396XT) becomes available, there
                        > will be a BCD996XT to follow with the same/similar improvements over the
                        > 996?

                        If it sells, I'm sure.

                        Since the code-base will be new, they can use the feedback (and don't
                        we all give feedback!) will let them fine-tune the code for the mobile
                        unit.

                        I checked with Paul on the release date and he assured me that it's
                        one month earlier than it was one month ago - progress! :-)

                        No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!
                      • Bill A
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                          Hay Uniden how about a timer on the new XT!!!

                          roxie2401 wrote:
                          > Paul,
                          >
                          > Any chance you could describe in a little more detain what you mean by
                          > "changes to the hardware architecture?"
                          >
                          > I keep thinking things like "multi-site" and "GPS" that were in the
                          > 996 are more firmware core code but would like to know more about the
                          > hardware changes.
                          >
                          > Thanks

                        • Uniden UPMan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                            Best and most obvious example is more memory. However a laundry list of all changes is under lock and key in engineering.
                             UPMan

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                              Paul...

                              Can you briefly explain how the "Control Channel Data Output" feature will work? For instance, will the scanner have data slicer capability built-in, or will this be more like a discriminator tap that could be connected to an external slicer? Will it be good for decoding anything except control channel data?

                              Thanks!
                              Jeremy
                              ---
                              Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry at 15:19 PST

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                                You shouldn't need a data slicer, a tap is all you should need.

                                > Can you briefly explain how the "Control Channel Data Output" feature will
                                > work? For instance, will the scanner have data slicer capability
                                > built-in, or will this be more like a discriminator tap that could be
                                > connected to an external slicer? Will it be good for decoding anything
                                > except control channel data?
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                > Jeremy
                                > ---
                                > Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry at 15:19 PST

                              • Eric
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 21, 2008
                                  Peter Laws wrote:

                                  > I checked with Paul on the release date and he assured me that it's
                                  > one month earlier than it was one month ago - progress! :-)

                                  Uh...that's *not* what he wrote. I suggest you read it again. On 11/20
                                  he wrote "I am happy to report that we are exactly one week closer to release
                                  than we were on 11/13. :)" So a week later made them one week closer. Paul's
                                  a funny guy.
                                • roxie2401
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 23, 2008
                                    Paul,

                                    Do I read between the lines that the "radio receiver" functions
                                    (selectivity, sensitivity, conversion,etc.) are the same as the
                                    current 396?

                                    Thanks