Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Band Scope

  • Derek Helling
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 13, 2009
      I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope feature.  (yes I read the manual)_.  After pressing all the buttons I can't get it to display.  Is there a clear instruction sequence somewhere that I can refer to?

      Derek

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 13, 2009
        Here's what I've figured out from the posts of a couple of other
        helpful people. If you find any errors or things I've missed, please
        let me know.

        Check that the sr3 search key is still set to the default of
        Bandscope by doing the following:

        Menu
        Search for ...
        Set Search Key
        Search Key 3
        Band Scope
        L/O to return

        Then to enter Bandscope:

        Hold
        Func+sr3 (Should display the bandscope)

        To Change Bandscope settings:

        Hold
        Func + scroll to change the MF (monitored frequency)
        Will return to search after a few seconds or press L/O

        To access the settings:

        press "." to cycle to CF (center frequency), SPN (span), or STP (step)
        Scroll in each flashing menu to change settings
        Will return to search after a few seconds or press L/O

        or

        To change CF (center frequency), press "E"
        type in the frequency
        press "E" again

        Scan to exit bandscope

        73
        Dick

        At 06:44 PM 4/13/2009, you wrote:
        >I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope
        >feature. (yes I read the manual)_. After pressing all the buttons
        >I can't get it to display. Is there a clear instruction sequence
        >somewhere that I can refer to?
        >
        >Derek

      • Joeinmiami
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 13, 2009
          Great info. Thanks!

          Joe

          Sent from my iPhone

          At 06:44 PM 4/13/2009, you wrote:
          >I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope
          >feature. (yes I read the manual)_. After pressing all the buttons
          >I can't get it to display. Is there a clear instruction sequence
          >somewhere that I can refer to?
          >
          >Derek

          color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } --> /html>

        • Derek Helling
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2009
            Thanks VERY much, I was getting a bit frustrated with my new toy.  I started to go wrong by pressing the Scan/Srch key instead of the 3/sr3.  I appreciate the education.

            Derek

            At 06:44 PM 4/13/2009, you wrote:

            >I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope

            >feature. (yes I read the manual)_. After pressing all the buttons

            >I can't get it to display. Is there a clear instruction sequence

            >somewhere that I can refer to?

            >Derek

            >--- On Mon, 4/13/09, just_a_radio_ guy <eika@...> wrote:

            >From: just_a_radio_ guy <eika@...>

            >Subject: [BCD396XT] Re: Factory default systems ans configuration

            >To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com

            >Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:38 PM

            > > Just initialize the scanner and answer "yes" when asked to

            > restore the factory systems.

            > > UPMan

            >Thank you!

          • clegg_andrew
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 15, 2009
              Derek,

              You have to be in search mode for the bandscope to be available. As an example, if you want to see the scope centered on 450 MHz, and assuming you are in some type of scan mode, enter the following sequence:

              Hold
              450.0
              Hold

              You should now be holding on 450 MHz, in Quick Search mode. Now press

              Function->3 (i.e., sr3)

              You should now have the bandscope showing, centered on 450 MHz.

              Andy

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Derek Helling <dereklh2001@...> wrote:

              > I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope feature.  (yes I read the manual)_.  After pressing all the buttons I can't get it to display.  Is there a clear instruction sequence somewhere that I can refer to?
              >
              > Derek

            • Richard A. Victor
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 15, 2009
                That'll work fine if you still have the bandscope set as the choice
                for sr3. The problem is that some software will clear that setting
                when it uploads frequencies to the scanner leaving sr3 unset. If
                that's the case, one will get very frustrated with this method. Best
                bet is to reset sr3 to bandscope first so that you can then proceed
                as you've suggested.

                Dick

                At 04:29 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:
                >Derek,
                >
                >You have to be in search mode for the bandscope to be available. As
                >an example, if you want to see the scope centered on 450 MHz, and
                >assuming you are in some type of scan mode, enter the following sequence:
                >
                >Hold
                >450.0
                >Hold
                >
                >You should now be holding on 450 MHz, in Quick Search mode. Now press
                >
                >Function->3 (i.e., sr3)
                >
                >You should now have the bandscope showing, centered on 450 MHz.
                >
                >Andy
                >
                >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Derek Helling <dereklh2001@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope
                > feature. (yes I read the manual)_. After pressing all the buttons
                > I can't get it to display. Is there a clear instruction sequence
                > somewhere that I can refer to?
                > >
                > > Derek
              • Derek Helling
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 16, 2009
                  Thanks.  I'm not sure if the bandscope feature was originally assigned to the sr3 key, however I followed your instructions to reset it and now it works fine.

                  Derek

                  At 04:29 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:

                  >Derek,

                  >You have to be in search mode for the bandscope to be available. As

                  >an example, if you want to see the scope centered on 450 MHz, and

                  >assuming you are in some type of scan mode, enter the following sequence:

                  >Hold

                  >450.0

                  >Hold

                  >You should now be holding on 450 MHz, in Quick Search mode. Now press

                  >Function->3 (i.e., sr3)

                  >You should now have the bandscope showing, centered on 450 MHz.

                  >Andy

                  >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, Derek Helling <dereklh2001@ ...> wrote:

                  > > I have just spent an hour trying to see the band scope

                  > feature. (yes I read the manual)_. After pressing all the buttons

                  > I can't get it to display. Is there a clear instruction sequence

                  > somewhere that I can refer to?

                  > > Derek

                • kb6uda
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I currently have the old 2006 396T.

                    I have been reading about something called a "band scope" the 396XT has.

                    Is this kind of like a spectrum analyzer that tells me what is going on over a certain part of the band.

                    Like can I set it to look for activity 200 KHz from a center freq and see what happens?

                    Or does it do something like if I activate a key lock opener for my car does it show what feq is being used by a very short low power burst transmission saying it is really close?

                    Best Regards
                    Sincerely,
                    Ted
                    KB6UDA
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                      Yes, you can look at a slice of the spectrum, and the radio can note the RF peaks and hold them in
                      the display. You can then use the scroll function to tune the radio to what you have discovered. I find
                      it handy for tracking cable interference, and splinter frequencies. Haven't tried the car alarm transmitter/door opener. Intriguing...

                      You can read more about it here:

                      http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#bandscope mode

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                        Here's another great reference guide for this radio:

                        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD396XT