9217Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Battery Life

  • Cory Ricci
    Aug 10 9:54 AM
      I'm guessing you mean NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries in regards to the rechargeable ones referenced in this topic. NiCd's (Nickel Cadmium) do have their own pros and cons but most I've seen that are still made in AA size are a pretty low capacity, usually less than 1000mAh and are typically used for solar landscape lighting type of applications as they are cheaper and have a bit less of a self-discharge rate and handle being over discharged and over charged better than NiMh counterparts which makes those attributes a great fit for the LED solar lights that don't need a large capacity with such a low draw (and the small photovoltaic panels on them would rarely, if ever, be able to fully charge something like 2300-2900mAh cells anyway). But in any case with rechargeable batteries it is always best to use a good charger that has the capability to condition cells and charges and monitors them individually so you can charge one, two, three or how many ever it will hold at the same time. The ones that only do pairs or 4 at a time charge in series so one cell may get way overcharged while the other could be only 80-90%. That and as another person said, rotating the cells when changing them out and charging them will help get the most charge/discharge cycles, capacity and overall life out of them you can.  These good chargers and good higher capacity NiMh batteries aren't that expensive so I'd say they are an investment well worth making for a scanner worth as much as these are :)

      Sent via iPhone from Cory D. Ricci

      On Aug 10, 2014, at 6:21, "N1CHU n1chu@... [BCD396XT]" <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      NiCads (rechargeable batteries such as AA's we are talking about here) were touted as being able to be recharged 1000 times. But that is ideally. Realistically, we normally don't see this because we don't recharge them optimally. We end up buying that 4 pack of batteries that come with a cheap charger-the type where you need to charge at least two at a time. My thinking on that is most battery operated electronics use an even number of batteries (and don't forget, battery manufacturers are in the business of selling us batteries-the quicker they die, the more sales they make!). So buy a decent battery charger like the Maha mentioned that can charge a single battery at a time in any of the ports and also "recondition" batteries you think need it. Then stick to religiously using that charger instead of the built-in one that comes with the scanner. Uniden's Paul Opitz has even advised (or agreed with the practice of recharging outside the scanner). 1000 charges, done on a daily basis means there should be about 3 years of recharging cycles but as the batteries age, they will not perform as well as when they are new so expect a diminishing return on length of operation the older the batteries get. I have not gone 3 years with one set of 3 AA cells and don't expect to. I routinely swap out my 2 sets of 3 batteries each year. I put the old sets to work in TV remotes and the such. (Don't plug them into smoke detectors or CO detectors-use only fresh disposable batteries for life saving applications).

      I do like to use the higher rated MHa batteries like the 2600 or 2700 MHa batteries as they last longer per recharge. They cost a bit more than a 1500 MHa battery but I find they are worth it.

    • Show all 51 messages in this topic