9215Re: Battery Life

  • N1CHU
    Aug 10, 2014
      NiCads (rechargeable batteries such as AA's we are talking about here) were touted as being able to be recharged 1000 times. But that is ideally. Realistically, we normally don't see this because we don't recharge them optimally. We end up buying that 4 pack of batteries that come with a cheap charger-the type where you need to charge at least two at a time. My thinking on that is most battery operated electronics use an even number of batteries (and don't forget, battery manufacturers are in the business of selling us batteries-the quicker they die, the more sales they make!). So buy a decent battery charger like the Maha mentioned that can charge a single battery at a time in any of the ports and also "recondition" batteries you think need it. Then stick to religiously using that charger instead of the built-in one that comes with the scanner. Uniden's Paul Opitz has even advised (or agreed with the practice of recharging outside the scanner). 1000 charges, done on a daily basis means there should be about 3 years of recharging cycles but as the batteries age, they will not perform as well as when they are new so expect a diminishing return on length of operation the older the batteries get. I have not gone 3 years with one set of 3 AA cells and don't expect to. I routinely swap out my 2 sets of 3 batteries each year. I put the old sets to work in TV remotes and the such. (Don't plug them into smoke detectors or CO detectors-use only fresh disposable batteries for life saving applications).

      I do like to use the higher rated MHa batteries like the 2600 or 2700 MHa batteries as they last longer per recharge. They cost a bit more than a 1500 MHa battery but I find they are worth it.
    • Show all 51 messages in this topic