8971Re: [BCD396XT] Noise coming from radio

  • John Stark
    Mar 12, 2014
      On a lot of vehicles its best and sometimes easiest to just run a new plug. Many of the vehicles though have specific places you can connect radios. You don't mention the year and model so its hard to tell you where the wires your looking at may go or give you ideas that may help.
      You do mention MOPAR but that covers a lot of vehicles and years! On my Dodge Ram 2500 there are all kinds of computers and possibilities for interference. Switching stereos in it I had to go with a different location for the +12v as the stock location had noise. Turns out the factory stereo was made with a filter so it wasn't noticeable. Any one of the numerous computers as well as the alternator can introduce noise.
      One of the two power plugs has noise in it, and I traced it back to the main computer which BTW also has the voltage regulator in it.

      "red2965 ." <mdmitchell65@...> wrote:

      Here is a few of the answers to your questions.
      I found the cheapest car adapter I could find on eBay,  I think I paid roughly $9 and some change for it with the s/h.  I noticed it has a 6.5v output @ 1.5 amps made in china of course and I was subject of it. but agcme2002 put the thought of a ground loop issue and lord knows I have one starting from the battery I just recently tried to replace it with after-market cables as MOpar is damn proud of all their merchandise I felt it was cheaper to go that way... but, I still spent $30 at O'Reilly Auto Parts for a heavy ground cord and 2 short 10awg wires...I know where the main cable goes but where in Carmen does the smaller ones run to?  on the net it said one goes to the A pillar I assume to the dash gauges, heater and such....when I slow down to a stop my headlamps dim and my heater takes a quick dive in speed for a split second. when I get a chance and the weather is nice, I will put a sound generator on them (ground wires)  and search them out. no garage..LOL
      Thanks to all for the extra ideas.
      Mark

      On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM, <agcme2002@...> wrote:

      You probably have a ground loop.  I had the same thing happen in my car when I used anything that plugged into the auxiliary input on the radio (CD players, the 396, etc.)  The ground loop acts as a giant loop antenna and picks up all the LF noises in the car (fuel injectors, spark system, alternator whine, etc.)

      The thing to try is to break the ground loop.  You can do it one of two ways.  First is to get an inexpensive audio patch cord to go between the 396 and the stereo.  Cut the shield of this patch cord (that's why it's a spare cheap cord) so there's no continuity through the shield from one end of the cable to the other (the sleeves on tip-ring-sleeve plugs).  The inner audio paths (tip and ring) should stay intact.  If the ground loop is the problem, your noise should go away entirely.  You can later replace the cut wire with a ground loop isolator (many electronics stores have them).

      --
      Mark ~
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic