8715Re: [BCD396XT] External speaker

  • red2965 .
    Jan 1, 2014
      I was under the impression that the 396xt earphone jack was a 3.5 mono not stereo wouldn't you need to buy another adapter?

      On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Kevin Stead <norcalcop@...> wrote:

      I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GF7Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and pair it with my Bluetooth headset or my Bluetooth in the car.  Works amazing!

      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of MCH
      Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:14 PM
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] External speaker

      My solution was similar, but I don't care for wires so I use a Bluetooth

      speaker mic for my lapel speaker which provides more than enough
      amplification. A bonus is that my scanner stays at volume level 4 which
      extends the battery life. When I want to be more inconspicuous I use a
      common BT earphone that is paired with my scanner and with my phone.

      Joe M.

      Mike wrote:
      > You are probably right regarding any "official" answer from Uniden,
      > Joe. Dang lawyers! One use I had for shorting out the attenuation was
      > using a lapel speaker clipped to my shirt collar at outdoor
      > convention-type events. With outdoor noise, etc. I couldn't get enough
      > audio out of the earphone jack for this lapel speaker. Shorting to the
      > antenna ground worked great, and I could swing the wire out of the way
      > when plugging in an earphone. It also allowed the use of an amplified
      > speaker while keeping the volume control turned down to half of what
      > would be needed without the short, thus saving battery.
      > Personally, I think this hearing damage claim is for the most part
      > bogus, but certainly someone somewhere sued some manufacturer over it,
      > thus the attenuation we live with today. You'd have to listen long and
      > loud to do any permanent damage. My main concern is the rumors that
      > doing this over time can damage something internally on the Unidens.
      > Doesn't seem to be any consensus on this, even on RR.
      > Mike
      > On 1/1/2014 4:46 PM, MCH wrote:
      >> Good point. I usually associate amplified speakers with mobile use, and
      >> I replied accordingly, but for home use amplified PC speakers are a
      >> great source of cheap speakers that would work well. If you can get some
      >> with equalizers built in, all the better (base/treble control).
      >> I doubt Paul would be able to endorse grounding the speaker shield, as
      >> it could imply a "fitness for use" condition that Uniden likely would
      >> not want to convey. That said, I see no use for such shorting since
      >> amplified speakers work well, and even with the shorting strap you would
      >> not have enough power to drive an un-amplified speaker (in most cases).
      >> Besides, it would create issues if you want to use an earphone and
      >> accidentally turned up the volume - resulting in hearing damage. It's
      >> really not worth the risk in my opinion.
      >> Joe M.
      >> Rich Carlson wrote:

      Mark ~
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic