8711Re: [BCD396XT] External speaker

    Jan 1, 2014
      Good point. I usually associate amplified speakers with mobile use, and
      I replied accordingly, but for home use amplified PC speakers are a
      great source of cheap speakers that would work well. If you can get some
      with equalizers built in, all the better (base/treble control).

      I doubt Paul would be able to endorse grounding the speaker shield, as
      it could imply a "fitness for use" condition that Uniden likely would
      not want to convey. That said, I see no use for such shorting since
      amplified speakers work well, and even with the shorting strap you would
      not have enough power to drive an un-amplified speaker (in most cases).
      Besides, it would create issues if you want to use an earphone and
      accidentally turned up the volume - resulting in hearing damage. It's
      really not worth the risk in my opinion.

      Joe M.