8272Re: [BCD396XT] RE: cellular carriers are not ready to replace public safety radio

  • John Stark
    Aug 28, 2013
      Not sure either..lol. but around here encryption is rare. A couple Indiana counties use it and one ISP unit south uses it but otherwise everything is pretty much in the clear. Locally the sheriff is anti encryption as he knows people like myself listen, and on occasion help them out. If we had encryption here I wouldn't have gotten a small town bank robbers description, a week later I saw a guy who matched it and called and it was him. Not too long ago the dispatchers were getting nervous when they couldn't hear an officer, but I heard him fine so told them they were OK and the rest of the traffic stop they listened to my scanner over the phone so they could hear the officer! Things have been tense here since a traffic stop last year when an officer ended up in a pursuit and was shot. He is back to work now, but that night everyone wondered if he would make it. Especially those of us who heard it all first hand. Add to it it was the second night in a row with officers shot in our rural area.