8268Re: [BCD396XT] RE: cellular carriers are not ready to replace public safety radio

  • John Stark
    Aug 28 11:37 AM
      The Indianapolis system failed because of too many people talking needlessly about useless stuff that had zilch to do with the events going on at the time. I know because I had 5 scanners scanning that one system when the guy had the heart attack and no one could get on the radio. At the same time no one could use their cell phones either because the systems were so tied up and that was with extra portable sites brought in just for the super bowl. Even the statewide radio system was at near capacity with its three Indy sites.
      The city us known for bad planning, instead of making certain schools police and fire have what they need they throw $20,000,000 a year to the useless Pacers and have to lay off teachers close schools fire stations and not replace fire and police who retire or get arrested. Indy has had a dozen police officers arrested in the last two years for DUI! Even a couple firefighters too. Two police in the past two weeks arrested. No money to replace them, no new class of recruits will be ready until 2014. And they can't even pay to fix damaged police cars or replace worn out cars. Why? Poor leadership! Mayor Ballard combined the police and sheriffs departments to save $$ and it ended up costing millions more. Ballard wants the Pacers so HE can go to the games free, so the city dumps millions into a losing effort. Then Ballard decides in the midst of a lousy economy to try and host a super bowl. At the same time Motorola is pitting the screws to the city. The new radio system would cost millions more and be less than the contract called for. They ended up with a P25 system but instead of desperate sites as the contract called for Motorola talked them into a simulcast system. Worts thing they could have done! Now you just tied up the entire system. They kept the original systems number of channels but did add two X2 data channels for the MDT's. What's worse is the "backup" system is essentially the exact same system with a couple different sites and different frequencies! Effectively it is one system split in two. One used by public safety the other by public works. Coverage on system 2 as its known is even worse than system 1.
      Add to it the city should have known the systems vulnerabilities long before the super bowl as they had "issues" long before that with normal events but ignored the warnings. The city was too busy wasting millions on useless projects for the super bowl to worry about radio problems. One project was to use a run down mall and turn it into a joint comm center for city, state and the feds during the super bowl. Between a 30 year lease and other costs or cost around a hundred million for that ONE item to be used rarely although one tiny section is now home to IMPD East District.... then there were $300,000,000 in other useless projects including shutting I70 down to plant trees so super bowl fans didn't see bare grass! Bad management? No question, in fact there is a serious lack of common sense in the city county building in Indy. It showed with the state fair collapse and the South Side explosion too. And yet today the mayor still refuses to admit there are radio issues or a crime issue either.....