8267RE: [BCD396XT] RE: cellular carriers are not ready to replace public safety radio

  • Michael Hopkins
    Aug 28 9:52 AM
      First: I’ve been using scanners for many years and don’t want to see everything becoming encrypted; however:

      Encryption for law enforcement has been around for a long time and in my experience, primarily used for special operations – I personally installed an analog voice scrambling systems for a NC State Police drug enforcement team in the 1970’s; MA State Police have encrypted channels, Coast Guard routinely uses encrypted transmissions for offshore operations on VHF Marine channels, encrypted ACARS transmissions from Aircraft are becoming more common in the US on VHF – and that’s only a small sampling.

      With the advent of digital communications encryption becomes easier (a single chip) and is virtually unbreakable (unless, of course, you’re working for NSA!). Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts, myself included, I think encrypted voice will likely become more common among law enforcement and fire departments as we move forward. Sorry about that…..

      Mike Hopkins K1VLB

      Mhopkins735@...