      From: chris451 <chris451@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:31 PM
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Fringe trunking (notrunk)

      Just for fun I put in all the talk channels of a P25 system, then lock
      out the control channel.
      Programmed it as a conventional.

      In the fringe (distant zone) I find I can pick up most traffic this way
      due to the fact the trunk channel
      will not decode in the fringe, but the P25 will. Perhaps that is
      because there is error correction on the
      speech coding and it decodes great, and there is minimal or no error
      correction on the control channel.

      Also when using a dicriminator tap and a conventional scanner with the
      software decoding, now the
      trunk radio performs as well as just "Notrunking" the talk channels, in
      areas where the control channel is not locked in
      (system ID will not display when holding on control channel)

      How fun as it greatly multiplies the coverage (as long as you dont mind
      getting everything rather than just interesting channels).