8167Re: [BCD396XT] Brain Hurting.. Have 396XT. Need Help with Software

  • Tony Langdon
    Aug 1, 2013
      On 1/08/13 8:45 PM, Robert Marshall wrote:
      > plenty can still go wrong, I have to use a USB cable not the serial port cable since my pc is fairly new and no longer comes with an RS-232 port. I downloaded the updated driver and my pc recoginized the cable but it doesn't see the scanner. The software says if your pc doesn't see talk to vendor tech support. I guess before I bother tech support I will try to reboot pc just in case, but I figured if the pc sees the cable I shouldn't have to reboot.
      If you're using a USB - serial adapter (at least on Vista or newer)
      which uses a counterfeit Prolific chip (turns out I have 2 of these!),
      you need to install an older Prolific driver on your system, or the
      cable won't work. This is a common 'gotcha'. The symptoms are:

      1. No communications is possible.
      2. In Device Manager, the serial device provided by the cable has a
      yellow exclamation mark next to it and the text "This device is not
      working properly" appears.

      In this instance, you need to locate an older version Prolific driver
      for your system. They can be downloaded off the net.

      --
      73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com