7991Re: [BCD396XT] Re: WX Operation

  • Milton Engle
    Jun 10, 2013
      The radio can only do one thing at a time. If it is scanning through a list
      of programmed frequencies, following a trunked system, whatever it can only
      perform one task at a time and each task involves a certain amount of time.
      If we are receiving a signal on an analog frequency with weather priority
      turned on, every 6 seconds (default) the radio will stop receiving, switch
      to the weather channel, listen for the alerting signal; if heard it will
      stay on the channel, if not it will return to the previous channel where the
      conversation we were initially receiving may or may not still be taking
      place. If a trunked system is involved there is another step involving
      checking the trunked control channels in an analog or P25 system before
      switching to the active voice channel. The time to accomplish each task is
      relatively small, but those small bits of time for each individual task
      start to add up quickly.

      One of my biggest gripes is how the manufacturers keep putting more and more
      "features" into products but not fully explaining that each "feature" has
      other dependancies that limit it's usage.

      Keep the WX Priority turned off. If you need to keep an eye on the weather
      I strongly suggest a dedicated WX receiver.

      Another "feature" that falls into the same catagory is the Fire Tone-out
      function. It causes the scanner to mimic the function of a two-tone paging
      receiver. This function cannot be used with scanning. So now your
      "scanner" is actually nothing more than a single channel receiver with
      two-tone decode capabilities and no alerting function. Here again, if you
      need this sort of dedicated alerting capability get a pager.