7746Re: Antenna Options for my BCD396XT

  • Urkle
    May 1, 2013
      I have been using a directional multi-frequency Yagi-style TV antenna and it picks up fantastic and it's only 50 feet from ground to tip. I live about 60 miles from Madison, and over 75 miles from Chicago and I pick up quite a bit of their radio traffic. It's not crystal clear, but it's there, and I have no difficulty understanding what they're saying. You can pick them up on eBay for around $65. Cheaper alternative perhaps, and gives you the option for directional reception....

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

      > On 2/05/13 7:30 AM, Preston Ward wrote:
      > > I'm looking to get a wideband omnidirectional base antenna too. I'm going to put it 30-35' up. Anyway, I'm considering 4 models... does anyone have any opinions on which one of these might be better?:
      > Normally I'd say one of the better discones, unless your interests are
      > limited to a specific band. I can comment on your suggestions, as I
      > don't know those antennas.
      > >
      > > Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick up one city 75 miles away, but I still want to go with an omnidirectional at least for now.
      > Unless you're on a decent hill or mountain, your goals may be in
      > conflict. There is generally a tradeoff between gain, bandwidth (as
      > whether it covers a single band or is wideband) and directionality.
      > You're demanding at least 2 of those, if not all 3.
      >
      > The most likely antenna to get those signals from 75 miles away is a
      > directional antenna cut for a specific band. This focuses the signals
      > from one direction, and utilises all of the elements to contribute to
      > the gain.
      >
      > Omnidirectional antennas have to try to form a radiation pattern that
      > looks like a pancake, which means it focuses all of its attention on the
      > horizon. But even then, that volume of space is larger than the
      > directional case above, so the maximum possible gain is lower.
      >
      > Finally, a lot of broadband antennas don't use all of their radiating
      > elements on any given frequency, so these have even less ability to
      > focus the signals. However, that is compensated for by their extremely
      > wide bandwidth. You can get directional wideband antennas (e.g. a log
      > periodic), but their gain is a lot less than a Yagi or other narrowband
      > antenna cut for a specific frequency in the range covered.
      >
      > It may be that you either have to install 2 antennas and switch between
      > them, or run 2 scanners (maybe one of them can be a cheap scanner).
      >
      > Or move to a mountain midway between your target areas! ;)
      >
      > --
      > 73 de Tony VK3JED
      > http://vkradio.com

    • Show all 46 messages in this topic