7004Re: more operational mishaps ...

  • gteague
    Oct 7 11:25 PM
      wow! so much for using the 'rich text editor', it scrambled up my post to a fare-thee-well. i assure you, it looked much much better on my screen when i hit the |send| key.

      i just wanted to add that i mean no criticism of paul or uniden when i say i'm having trouble operating this scanner. i guess i make it sound like a big deal because i've been a 'gadget guy' all my life--people used to come to me to program their casio watches way back when 'cause i was the only one able to figure it out for nearly any model.

      so, losing the battle over knowing how to operate a gadget is an anomaly for me, but the bcd396xt is not unique in that regard, although rare. for one example, the yaesu vx7r (which is still in a bag somewhere in my house--lost but not mourned-- and non-operational defeated me. there were too many disparate functions assigned to too few keys. and i wasn't alone, people started putting out users guides and i remember carrying one around in my shirt pocket that was 84 pages! and that was the 'quickref' guide! and it wasn't just me--this radio alone was famous for defeated seniors with weak eyes and failing memories such as me.

      but the yaesu is just one of a handful of comparable radios--it's not like i _had_ to learn it or go without. i just picked up a kenwood th-f6a last week and although it's the first kenwood i've ever owned or used, i took one trip through the less-than-50-page manual and then did about 20 minutes of programming and i feel like i can understand and make use of about 90-95% of the capability of this radio despite it having nearly as many functions and features as the yaesu. the difference has to be in the philosophy of the user interface since the size and layout is essentially the same between the two radios with the exception of kenwood adding a handy 4-way 'mouse' button. and yaesu is not the only 'sinner' in this regards. some of the aor and icom models are not the easiest to use either, making kenwood's accomplishment all the more remarkable.

      but the bcd396 is different in that it is a brilliant brilliant engineering accomplishment and up until perhaps a couple of years ago there's been nothing remotely close to compare it to or to go buy if you couldn't deal with the uniden. and i haven't seen any of the gre or ratshack scanners, but ratshack has a long and deep reputation for having some of the most user-unfriendly and buggy user-interfaces going. i have never been truly happy with anything whatsoever i've purchased from them--it's nearly always been a case of needing something too badly and they happen to have it. but, i take that back. my radioshack race and 800mhz antennas are outstanding. but i've bought hundreds of feet of bad rg58 and pl259 connectors from them. anyway, i digress ... .

      so i keep hammering away at the 396t and xt because they are brilliant. but i think it's apparent that i'm one of the ones that just can't grok the paradigm of any logic the user commands represent. i have a digital audio recorder which is much the same with about 4 functions for each key depending on how, how much, and when and what mode you press the key. but an audio recorder has an order-of-magnitude less functions and operations than this scanner and it's manageable though irritating and necessitates repeat visits to the manual to bump the memory.

      /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)