6984Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Static version of Twiki manual Was: out of space already?

  • Guy Teague
    Sep 28, 2012
      well, i've cruised back and forth through my new $30 scannermaster book and
      my $8 quick reference card without learning much. there are at least 3
      references to 'search with scan', but no information as to how you get into
      this mode. each service search can have a quick key assigned, but that is
      ridiculous on the face of it. unless you are in a certain mode or hit
      certain modifier keys, the quickkey is going to clash with the ones you
      have assigned to systems. unless these quickkeys are different quickkeys
      and only work in search mode. perhaps much of this stuff i'm reading is
      only applicable to search mode (which i don't use very much) and perhaps
      i'm looking at this all wrong. perhaps i am somehow accidentally ending up
      in search mode and i'm starting a scan by mistake, not the other way
      around.

      now here is one that might apply from the quickref card:

      *: to start a custom/service search using programmed search keys ...
      *: /hold/ on any channel/freq and press /func/ + /search key/ assigned to
      search.

      i can imagine me doing this, except that there were no quickkeys assigned
      to any of the searches. and then there is the matter of the 3 keys that can
      be assigned to 3 different searches. i've assigned bandplan to one of
      these, but i have no idea how to trigger it. evidently you have to be in
      some mode or other and hit some modifier key or other in some combination
      or other and how the hell would anyone other than a polymath with a (what
      used to be called) a photographic memory every remember this crap? i feel
      like i'm in wonderland and the mad hatter just ate the only map.

      my opinion is that there need to be global options to turn off 90% of these
      features so that as you learn and become comfortable with one level of
      feature, you can gradually add them in. of course, i'm sure uniden help
      lines would be flooded with calls saying this or that feature doesn't work
      because the user forgot he turned it off. there's no winning this game.

      /guy (73 de kg5vt)