6946Re: "Nothing to Scan" - I think it's a software bug

  • Steve Wilson
    Sep 21, 2012
      Thanks, for your reply, Joe. The one component to my scenario that I failed to mention, is that I had only one system active at the time. So, in this scenario, it would be "nice" for the scanner to "assume" that you want to activate the group for the currently active system. Now...that said...I totally get the fact that that is an isolated scenario and it would make sense to have a way to address the other 90% of the time when you have more than one system active, as is the current state. :-)

      So...I sat down with a fresh perspective and found that what was not working was, as you listed, Func-Scroll and Func-#, which I interpreted as two presses of Func...once with scroll and once with the number. But the 2nd press of Func obviously cancels the function if active. So my interpretation may be incorrect, but that is how I viewed it. What DID work was pressing Func once, scrolling to the desired system, and then pressing the desired QK for the group.

      So...I accept that it was userware error on my part, but I think a clearer description of the process, IMHO, would be: Func-Scroll-#.

      Thanks, Steve

      P.S. Hope that those who were able to watch the Shuttle Endeavour/SCA flyby got a good view. The view from Moffett field was outstanding!

      > It's not a bug. The scanner did what you told it to do.
      >
      > You have to understand that once you turn off everything on a System,
      > the scanner starts scanning the next one in line. If there is no 'next
      > one', then it gives the error of 'nothing to scan'. So, you decide to
      > 'turn a group back on'. The scanner is supposed to decide which System
      > you want the group turned on for? I have hundreds of Systems. You could
      > argue that you want it turned on for the last active system, but then
      > it's really not logical that you want to turn on something you just
      > turned off.
      >
      > I try to remember to enable *before* disabling, hence avoiding the issue
      > entirely. If I'm disabling an entire System, I use the SQK, not a GQK.
      >
      > That said, the FUNC-Scroll with FUNC-# method works fine - all the time.
      > You just have to be in HOLD mode when you use it (hit the HOLD button if
      > you were not in that mode previously). I've used that method many times.
      >
      > Another workaround is that you could simply add a group with an unused
      > conventional frequency (or TG for trunked Systems) and assign that *no*
      > GQK and leave it unlocked. That way, it will be impossible to disable a
      > System by disabling all the groups. After all, that IS the issue - a
      > user disabling all Groups in a System.
      >
      > The above are pretty much the definitive answers. You may not like them,
      > or call them "blah blah blah", but all three methods work fine. I use
      > the first one (enable before disabling) with the second as a backup.
      > I've never found any need to go to the third method.
      >
      > One man's bug is another's operator error. To me, the bug would be
      > scanning a System that has everything disabled.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > Steve Wilson wrote:
      > > Yes...this seems to be a frequently asked question, but I have yet to find a definitive answer. Frankly...I feel it is a defect in the software. I can use the Func + # combination to turn on and off groups within a system. But once you you turn off all groups and get the "Nothing to Scan" message, the Func + # doesn't work to turn them back on! Logically, doesn't it make sense that it should work ALL the time, not just some of the time? I've seen some posts with directions to use the Func and the knob, but that doesn't seem to work. As another poster mentioned, the only thing that seems to work is to plug in the software cable and reload.
      > >
      > > I've seen similar posts, but the answers are the usual blah blah blah about how the scanner works and how to turn on and off systems and/or groups.
      > >
      > > The one pattern that I am seeing is this seems to be an issue with conventional systems and not trunked systems.
      > >
      > > Again...this seems to be a software bug. Can someone confirm? There was no change between the last firmware version and 1.10.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Steve

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic