5529Re: [BCD396XT] SquareTrade Warrany Cost

  • Derek Helling
    Jun 26, 2011
      I have never purchased extended warranties for anything and am way
      ahead, because I have never had a situation where an extended warranty
      would have been beneficial.  Essentially I am self insuring, saving all
      those premium dollars in my bank account in case I have to replace/repair
      something.

      I purchase major items (not cars of course) using my American Express card which adds a free
      extension (one year I think) to the manufacturers warranty - never used
      that either.

      It seems to me that warranties, extended or otherwise are designed to expire before major breakdowns occur.  This must work most of the time, otherwise the the companies selling the warranties would not be in business.  So they get to keep most of the premiums and pay out on few claims.

      I am wary of the extended warranty industry which some bad apples
      have given a bad reputation. We had a case here in St. Louis recently, (US Fidelis).

      Derek