5422Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Audio dropouts for trunk and conventional

  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
    May 7, 2011
      At 04:11 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
      >Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
      >for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
      >I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
      >recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
      >would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

      If it was just for WX, then it's wasted outside the US (as the
      existing WX features already are for me). However, if the second Rx
      can be assigned to other purposes as well (CloseCall, priority watch,
      etc), then it would be a really useful asset.

      >As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
      >circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
      >people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
      >get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
      >recover the costs.

      The amateur gear with two receivers doesn't seem to have a $200
      premium, probably nearer $100. However, it is worth noting that in
      the Icom D-STAR amateur radios (which, like P25, require a vocoder
      chip from DVSI), only one of the receivers is able to decode digital
      transmissions. That might be a compromise required to keep the cost
      down. Right now, a second, analog only Rx wouldn't be a big handicap
      (I don't have any P25 systems in my scanner yet - but I will within a
      couple of years when our fire service goes digital), but it might be
      limiting in the future.

      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic