      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of MCH
      Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 6:24 PM
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: marine AIS and BCD396XT

      Well, it doesn't say it's illegal to decode, either, if we are going to
      pick nits. It says it's illegal to "intentionally intercept" it.

      For all practical purposes, that means receive in the case of audible
      communications or decode in the case of data communications.

      And there are a ton of exceptions in addition to Law Enforcement. Most
      people do not qualify under any exemption unless their job involves
      communications services.

      Basically, the ECPA makes everything illegal to intercept, then exempts
      some services such as Business, Industrial, Public Safety, Ham, and some
      others.

      Joe M.