5101RE: [BCD396XT] Indoor Antenna

  • W4KRR
    Jan 31, 2011
      Short answer: It depends. In some cases it will make a big difference, in
      other cases less so, in some cases the signal may be worse. There are a lot
      of factors to consider: the frequencies you are trying to receive, the
      distance between you and their transmitting antenna, your elevation, the
      type of antenna you are using, the length and type of the coax cable, etc.

      The times I have tried a mag mount antenna on the fridge or a filing
      cabinet, I have found that in my area, some signals are improved, but some,
      especially 800MHz trunked systems, seem to be no better or even a little
      worse than using the supplied antenna. This is in part due to any
      additional signal that the antenna may provide being lost in the coax cable
      between the antenna and the scanner.

      Bottom line, you are just going to have to try it for yourself and see. If
      it doesn't work out, you can always sell the antenna on eBay!

      Ken