5000Re: [BCD396XT] Roof top antenna for bcd396xt

  • Ronski45
    Jan 7, 2011
      I use the same one too.
      Ive had mine for 15+ years and it still there.

      Getting an antenna its cost, installation and you lose portability too.

      I will say this about the radio shack discone antennas over the years
      and recent that all I hear is they are cheap construction!
      I have a diamond discone and its been through blizzards, 80+ mph wind
      storms etc. and all the elements are still there after about 15+ years.
      I worked with a guy in the last month trying to fix up his scanner in
      town and he had a shack antenna, whelp he found that some rusted screws
      were the culprit!
      http://forums.radioreference.com/antennas-coax-forum/80105-rs-discone-antenna.html
      Check out comments http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2777
      See for yourself
      http://www.radioreference.com/apps/Search/?cx=014732645207632841850%3Afkjydvmuoq4&q=radio+shack+discone+antenna&sa=Search&cof=FORID%3A9&name=Search

      Unless it would be a short cable run dont use typical cable tv stuff -
      rg58, rg 59. Try RG6 what I used since the signal loss /foot is very
      high on the latter two and not so on rg6 which I did get at radio shack
      off a spool.