      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Tim Woodward
      Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

      I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
      anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
      Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
      heard of any issued with Windows 7.

      There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner and
      software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows 7,
      it does in 32-bit.

      I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
      driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
      I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue with
      every driver.
      Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

      All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
      fine on Windows XP pc.

      My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
      to use my new laptop.

      For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of data,
      like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.

      FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use FreeScan
      and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
      Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
      there is something real here.

      With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
      upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
      The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
      starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
      locks up,
      after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
      error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.

      Tim