337Re: [BCD396XT] MPT System

    Jan 21, 2009
      Yes, there are a few systems, but enough to justify the R&D of adding
      it? I doubt it. It would be much more logical for Uniden Europe (or
      whatever they are called) to foot the cost of development for it since
      it would be used much more there - just as Uniden America footed the
      bill for P25 and many other features. I bet they footed the bill for
      most of the current lineup which was of benefit to all the Uniden
      divisions. IOW, is everyone else benefiting from Uniden America's work?
      Or is Uniden Japan doing all the work for everyone and making decisions
      based upon sales figures as to whose want list gets priority?

      MPT1327 would be nice, but the demand just isn't there in North America.
      There is much more demand for Open Sky (3 statewide systems at the
      peak), and that isn't happening either. Granted, OS is proprietary, and
      I *think* MPT is an open standard. Still, it likely costs money
      somewhere over and above the R&D costs.

      Also, given the current economic conditions, I doubt there are many
      companies willing to put a lot of resources into something that most
      people could care less about and would never use. I think most of the
      systems in North America are in Canada, and I've never noticed that
      Canada is a big importer of any of the Uniden models. Sure, there are
      some users there, but I bet it's in the lower single digit percentages.
      In short, Uniden America is going to go with that gets them the most
      return on their investment, and sorry to say I bet MPT just isn't where
      that is.

      I also understand that Uniden Europe isn't that responsive, but there is
      little Uniden America can do about that - especially if they have
      internal agreements to not intentionally "tramp on each other's toes".
      If Uniden Europe isn't responsive, write letters to Uniden Japan or ask
      them to include MPT. IF they see enough support, they should add it.

      Joe M.