      From: "Larry Koch" <larrykoch@...>
      To: <bcd396xt@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:21 AM
      Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

      Good explanation John. I have the same problem as Peter described and I am
      also hoping that the XT will do better. I have tried every digital trunking
      scanner on the market (RS 2096, 96 - Uniden 996, 396 - PSR 600, 500) and had
      mixed results with them all.

      John, is the timing problem caused by sloppy maintenance, faulty design,
      poor manufacturing or global warming?

      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnstark@...: Wed, 21 Jan
      2009 11:00:44 -0500Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

      As has been said before each P25 is supposed to be set up with specific
      timing, the problem is many systems are not set up within the specs and
      thats when you have decode problems, it's multiplied on a simulcast system.
      Additionally reception is differents too, lower power for the same, or more
      coverage. Antenna choice, even weather make huge differences in whether you
      get clean clear transmissions or not. Also you honestly cannot compare a
      $3000 radio to a $500 scanner.... thats just common sense.John----- Original
      Message ----- From: "Jason W. Watts, KB0KGH" <KB0KGH@...>To:
      <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:23 AMSubject:
      Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems> The 396 works fine on the
      Cedar Rapids Motorola Type II 3600 Digital TRS > that I use the 396 for. And
      it is a 2 site simulcast system. Now and then > it does have a hiccup, but
      it is very much usable.>> I have barely tested it on a P25 Standard 9600
      baud system. I was in the > Quad Cities on the Illinois side and it sounded
      garbled. I was on the move > in the vehicle, and couldn't really play around
      with settings much. Also, > it was STARCOM 21. I've heard of some problems
      with the system itself.>>> Jason Watts> Cedar Rapids, IA> --------------
      Original message from MCH <mch@...>: -------------- >> Threaded...>>
      Peter Elke wrote:>> My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an
      area with a P25>> simulcast system.>>>> I have been traveling around the
      country and testing the BCD396T in>> states where they are common. In my
      testing I compare the 396 (with>> firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro
      Saber (Mot Type II Digital)>> or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is
      that the the 396 works>> very well on single transmitter sites and is almost
      unusable in>> simulcast areas.>> That's odd. It works fine on my local P25
      simulcast system.>>> My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans,
      Denver, Orange>> County, San Diego.>>>> It is amazing how the Motorola
      radios never hiccup and the 396 stops>> decoding even after playing with the
      "hold key" adjustments.>> Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are
      you using? Although> my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that
      upgrades to the> firmware could have made a difference on the systems you
      mentioned.>> What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS
      portable> and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when
      the user> radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the
      same.>>> I am confident that if the development team lived near one of
      these>> sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how
      to>> mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.>>>> If they
      get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop>> lugging single
      band portables around with me on planes.>> Again, maybe the answer is that
      it's already been done and you simply> haven't bothered to install the
      upgrades. You've described doing things> that you cannot do with the latest
      firmware.>> Joe M.>>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been