315Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

    Jan 20, 2009

      Peter Elke wrote:
      > My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an area with a P25
      > simulcast system.
      > I have been traveling around the country and testing the BCD396T in
      > states where they are common. In my testing I compare the 396 (with
      > firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro Saber (Mot Type II Digital)
      > or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is that the the 396 works
      > very well on single transmitter sites and is almost unusable in
      > simulcast areas.

      That's odd. It works fine on my local P25 simulcast system.

      > My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Denver, Orange
      > County, San Diego.
      > It is amazing how the Motorola radios never hiccup and the 396 stops
      > decoding even after playing with the "hold key" adjustments.

      Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are you using? Although
      my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that upgrades to the
      firmware could have made a difference on the systems you mentioned.

      What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS portable
      and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when the user
      radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the same.

      > I am confident that if the development team lived near one of these
      > sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how to
      > mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.
      > If they get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop
      > lugging single band portables around with me on planes.

      Again, maybe the answer is that it's already been done and you simply
      haven't bothered to install the upgrades. You've described doing things
      that you cannot do with the latest firmware.