2842Re: BCD396T/BCD396XT SMA connector

  • Chris
    Sep 27, 2009
      As long as the antenna is not loose on the connector and the center conductor is making contact with the socket in the center of the female SMA connector, the antenna should work fine. If you're concerned about athletics you might consider trying to put a round rubber piece or a rubber washer in between the body of the radio and the antenna. I have noticed with PL-259 connectors that not all of the male connectors have the same depth threads therefore not all cables or antennas fit all the way down over the threads. However they work just fine as long as the connection is tight.

      Good luck,

      Chris, KD0EGE

      > I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to - Icom or Vertex? Thanks!

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic