      From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:42:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Are we any closer to knowing the release date for the 396XT?....and what about firmware?

      Brian:

      You are correct to say that one of the reasons we control the release of information is to keep some buzz going. It also gives me an early opportunity to gather more public input while I still have a chance to affect the final shape of the product. I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with that.

      The complete product line that was leaked before the 246/396 came out was a completely unauthorized release by a dealer who should have known better and who will never have the opportunity to do so, again. To say that I was a little miffed about that would be a tremendous understatement. The info he released was in large part completely unreflective of what the product would actually be (as you say, prototype renderings of some ideas).

      When the level of development reaches a point where I have something pretty solid, then we release the information. You'll see a major information release next week...information I could not have released earlier because it was still being created, reviewed, approved, etc.

      I leave assessments of product performance to the community. Anything I say would be rightfully taken as completely biased. Any assessments of performance being given by members of the community right now are completely without any basis in fact or experience. But, feel free to speculate and criticize. User criticism is the biggest leverage I have when challenging engineering for resources. I would ask that such criticism be based on actual experience with the product, but I won't stop such criticism, in any case.

      UPMan