Groups not showing up

  • Roth Ritter
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi all, sorry I have a new question to an issue that just came up. I
      have a conventional system programmed that contains about 7 groups.
      This system has always worked correctly until now. The problem is I
      can enable/disable the system, but enabled it says "nothing to scan"
      and all of the group slots show a "-" instead of the "*" that used to
      be there, as if they didn't exist in the system. The only way I can
      hear there frequencies now is if I press the hold button and twist the
      selector knob to move through them one at a time manually. When I do
      this, a "*" appears in the slot where it should be, but moving to the
      next group it goes back to "-". I checked all of the lockouts to make
      sure all the groups were unblocked. I've checked everything I can find
      and nothing seems to enable my groups back for scanning. Other systems
      are scanning groups fine, only this one has this issue. Thanks in
      advance -

      Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
      http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

    • Ron H.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
        I would suggest this, see what the settings are in the other group that you can hear, but keep in mind that if this is an EDACS system, then you need to be sure you have the frequencys in the correct order and have entered the control chan.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
          Press F and scroll to that system. While FUNC is still activated, press the numbers for the channel groups you want to turn back on.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
            Well I'm not able to hear any of the groups within this trunk system
            unless I press the hold button, then the first group appears as an "*"
            and I can twist the knob to move to the next group; pressing scan
            again results in "nothing to scan" and error beep. The other systems
            that work don't indicate any setting I'm not already using as far as I
            can tell. I don't know if I accidentally hit something at some point
            to put them in this mode or if it could even be a firmware bug (I'm
            running 1.01 which came from the factory and I know there is a later
            one out there). Thanks.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
              I've tried to reactivate them that way but nothing happens with
              exception of an error beep. I've used that key combo before to enable/
              disable groups and that works in every case but this one. Usually,
              there is a "*" indicated in the group slot when it is inactive, but in
              this case I only see all dashes "-". It's like trying to enable a
              group that doesn't exist (but it does), or isn't somehow bound to the
              system. Thanks.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                My correction, this system in question is simply a conventional type
                system, not a trunking one (if that makes any difference).

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                  But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were simply
                  disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.

                  My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
                  see if a GQK assignment still exists.

                  I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups and the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are not on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system even you you think that is the one you are on...).

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Agreed and there in lies my problem. The SQK is assigned to "1" and
                      GQKs are currently assigned to each of the 6 groups (1-6), each group
                      is set to 'unlocked' as is the system. If I copy the system into a new
                      name and activate it, that new system is also unresponsive with a new
                      SQK and doesn't show any indication it has groups associated with it.
                      I'm sure I have the right system selected and it does have groups
                      assigned to it with unique GQKs. It's really strange.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                        Exactly, I don't know why it shows "-" where the groups should be. If
                        I go into the the system and edit the groups, they're all there with
                        unique GQKs and like I mentioned if I put the system on hold and
                        manually scroll through the groups, they're all there; but pressing
                        scan yields 'nothing to scan'. This system was working fine up until
                        yesterday and I don't know what changed.

                        On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:03 AM, MCH wrote:

                        > But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were
                        > simply
                        > disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.
                        >
                        > My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
                        > see if a GQK assignment still exists.
                        >
                        > I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.
                        >
                        > Joe M.
                        >
                        > Paul Opitz wrote:
                        > > Press F and scroll to that system. While FUNC is still activated,
                        > press the numbers for the channel groups you want to turn back on.
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Roth Ritter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                          Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand what
                          happened to begin with.

                          What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                          GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                          and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that point, I
                          changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again. This
                          seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                          memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                          good measure.

                          Thanks for all of the input and help on this -

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                            As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                            displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                            you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                            still might be a prudent thing to do.

                            Joe M.

                          • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                              For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class scanner and had to do the same thing.

                              Don, KE4JD

                              -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                                Interesting, well at least I know how to fix the problem if it happens
                                again. This is a really nice scanner once you get to know your way
                                around it.

                                On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:04 PM, dmascanning@... wrote:

                                > For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class
                                > scanner and had to do the same thing.
                                >
                                > Don, KE4JD
                                >
                                > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
                                >
                                > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                                > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                                > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                                > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                                >
                                > Joe M.
                                >
                                > Roth Ritter wrote:
                                > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                                > what
                                > > happened to begin with.
                                > >
                                > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                                > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                                > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                                > point, I
                                > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                                > This
                                > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                                > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                                > > good measure.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                                > >

                                > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                                > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                                > >

                                > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                                > >

                                > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                                > and
                                > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                                > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                                > not
                                > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                                > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                                > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                                > >>
                                > >> ________________________________

                              • Roth Ritter
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                                  Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                                  had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.

                                  On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:

                                  > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                                  > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                                  > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                                  > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                                  >
                                  > Joe M.
                                  >
                                  > Roth Ritter wrote:
                                  > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                                  > what
                                  > > happened to begin with.
                                  > >
                                  > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                                  > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                                  > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                                  > point, I
                                  > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                                  > This
                                  > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                                  > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                                  > > good measure.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                                  > >

                                  > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                                  > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                                  > >

                                  > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                                  > and
                                  > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                                  > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                                  > not
                                  > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                                  > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                                  > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                                  > >>
                                  > >> ________________________________

                                • Ron H.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                    Comuter interface, means programing via the computer, AND here is what I do. When you are done updating he sytem, then of course it ask if you want to save it. Nice thing about this is that should something happen to the memory of the scanner, then just resend the saved file. When it ask you to clear all data first, answer YES, or you may retain the previous problem when reloading the scanner.

                                  • Roth Ritter
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                      While we're on the subject of computer interfacing, what software is
                                      good for scanner programming? I'm new to scanner PC interfacing and
                                      I've seen one or two free apps out there but don't know anything about
                                      them.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                        Right now, AFAIK you have two choices: FreeScan and ProScan. Soon you
                                        will have ARC-XT to add to that list, and somewhere down the road UASD,
                                        ScanControl, bcTool, and perhaps others.

                                        Joe M.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                          If it happens again, contact me directly. I'd like to get a clone of your setup for study (I can provide the tool/instructions).

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                            I will, thanks Paul. As best I can remember I was adding a new group
                                            to the site in question and changing the GQK order of the last two
                                            groups at or around the time it began acting like this. I know that's
                                            not enough concrete info to help much, but I'll be better prepared
                                            next time.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                              Thanks Joe, yes FreeScan is the one I remember running across.

                                            • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                                Hi Paul,

                                                You should have a clone of mine that I sent you on the other XT group. That is why I could not get priority to work.

                                                Don, KE4JD

                                                -------------- Original message from Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>: --------------