Trunked or Conventional?

  • One Thing
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
      I'm in Fresno County California.  I purchased this new back in 2010, however where I lived in N. California I couldn't pick up anything.  I got the Premium with RadioReference.com and couldn't use it.  Now that I'm down here I programed each channel with FreeScan.   It's working fine, but I used Conventional.   Would it be worth it to drop $15 and try and use Trunked?  Am I missing anything big by not using Trunked?

      For the most part, I'm just glad that after sitting in an unopened box for 4 years the thing still works.

      Thanks
    • p.flautt
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
        I'm using mine on trunk system.So is about 5 others close by me.
      • One Thing
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

          Are you in the Fresno area?

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
            No  I live outside of Columbus,Ohio.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014

              I’m in Canada; Free Scan worked fine for me in loading the trunked channels in my city.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2014
                I didn't get the Premium subscription ($15) to get the Conventional.   I just entered them on my computer using FreeScan.   $15 is no big deal, but I'm just trying to figure out if there's a big advantage of Trunking over the Conventional.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 29, 2014

                  An advantage for the scanner user, or for the system user? For the latter, it’s being able to share a few frequencies among a large number of users, have a large number of talk groups (usually along functional lines, with a few spares), high equipment commonality, and easy programmability. In my city, the system is named for Public Safety, but the transit system is also among the users. For the scanner user, I don’t think there’s much advantage to either system.