Re: Quick Programming Steps for a BC346XT

  • capt_clint
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
      There is no simple approach with modern scanners. This is as simple as it gets: http://marksscanners.com/346XT/346xt.shtml#program%20conv%20system Don't bother with options. After creating a system, see Creating Groups. Then see Programming Frequencies/IDs, Conventional Frequency
      For Conventional, you need to create a system, and then at least 1 group under that system. Think of systems as main folders on a PC. Groups are sub folders under the system. For the sake of simplicity, all you need is 1 system, and then you can put all 100 freq's in one group. Trunking systems are similar, but more involved.

      --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "donwenrob" <donwenrob@...> wrote:

      > My elder neighbor just got a BC346XT scanner and asked me if I could program in about 100 frequencies for him. I am not a scanner person and really don't want to read the manual. Can you provide me a quick 1-2-3- step guide to do this please??? Txs.

    • Maggie OConnor
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
        I have to agree – no simple way to program this scanner – I used the MarkScanner and yahoo group people’s help to get mine to the bare minimum so I can use it.. I have a trunked bank and I guess a different “group” for conventional frequencies..

        Can anyone tell me how to turn on or off a specific group, and also, on my old scanners, for conventional freq’s – they were each at a “number” in the scanner, and I could hit the manual button, and then hit number 123 for example and just “hold” on a specific freq.. is there any way to do this with this scanner?

        some time I want to try using the computer to program – but haven’t done that yet either!

        Thanks much – and good luck donwebrob.

        --- In mailto:BC346XT%40yahoogroups.com, "donwenrob" <donwenrob@...> wrote:

        > My elder neighbor just got a BC346XT scanner and asked me if I could program in about 100 frequencies for him. I am not a scanner person and really don't want to read the manual. Can you provide me a quick 1-2-3- step guide to do this please??? Txs.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 25, 2013
          I use FreeSCAN.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
            Enable/disable Groups: While scanning the System with the Group you want
            to change, hit FINC and the number of the GQK assigned to that Group. If
            you didn't assign a GQK, you would have to enable/disable it via the menu.

            Direct Channel access: Hit SNT.CNT (MENU) where SNT is the Number Tag of
            the System, and CNT is the Number Tag of the Channel. Both of these are
            assigned by you when programming. (or can be assigned or changed after
            the Channel/System are programmed.

            I usually make the SNT the same as the SQK and the CNT the same as the
            TGID for talkgroups (won't work for really high ones), or some logical
            number for Conventional Channels.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2013
              Thanks Joe – I’ll have to look at this closely some time – I don’t even know how I got it programmed but I did.. I wonder if I could do all this stuff with Freescan, do you think so? I was “fine” at programming my 245 (I think) scanner but this one is really for the birds! Meantime, lets say I have a SNT and CNT – okay so CNT is the actual number tag of the ONE freq (old kind) that I want? On my old scanner I knew the channel numbers by heart for the handful that I sometimes wanted to just be on – like my town cops or ambulance or something I might see or hear and want to just go to that one frequency.. Anyway, I really have to look at it.. I’d like to get another “group” in there too – I might have it and just don’t know it.. I loved my old scanner where you just turned “banks” on or off depending – like I had my “vacation” area on a bank and I could just turn it on when on vaca.. anyway, I guess I’m not so good at change! Thanks very much to all of you – including Marks Scanners!

              - Maggie

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                FreeScan will program all those features.

                CNT is the Channel Number Tag which you set in the scanner (or SW) to
                that channel. Not every channel will have a tag - only the ones you
                specify. You have the use that in conjunction with the System Number Tag
                which you also specify for the System, then hit SNT.CNT (MENU) to go to
                that specific channel.

                What you could do is program all the "old channels" in one conventional
                System and assign it SNT 1, then program your channels with the number
                you remember, so it will just be 1.XXX (MENU) where XXX is the number
                you know them as.

                For your Vacation bank, just program that as a separate System and
                assign it a System Quick Key (SQK) that you had set as the old bank
                number then you can enable/disable it just like you used to do.

                If one or more of those systems are trunked, you can assign them the
                same SQK and both/all will be enabled and disabled at the same time. You
                are no longer limited to one trunk system per "bank"/System.

                Your 346 can be set up pretty much the same as your old scanner. You
                just need to assign the Systems, Channels (and Groups), and number tags
                yourself - they are no longer preset with fixed numbers of channels or
                fixed tags.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2013
                  So Joe, I can do all the stuff you wrote me here with FreeScan? If so – I REALLY need to get that! This is great info and others gave me some as well.. thank you all.. without this group this scanner would be a total waste for me.. I just can’t really figure it out.. I did get my main stuff programmed in when I got it – with your help and that of MarkScanners – but now if I want anything changed or different – I have no clue.. I wish I could still get a new older model – it’s so much more “practical” for me!!

                  Again – thank you all a TON for your answers and your help.

                  - Maggie

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 28, 2013
                    Yes, you can do all this using FreeScan. On the channel display, make
                    sure you uncheck "simple view" so you can see all the channel options.

                    Joe M.