New user

  • Gerri Nylund
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
      I am considering getting the BC346, but worry about the difficulty programming in the frequencies. Reviews on Amazon make it sound pretty difficult. Local dealers say they only sell them and know nothing about programming them. Some online dealers will program, for a price.

      But since a friend is offering to buy it for me, I'd like to keep the price low.
      Any advice?
    • sk8mv@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
        I have a BC346 ....and they are a little difficult to program. But after some practice and reading through some manuals you can probably figure it out. I'm guessing that none of these types of scanners are real easy. There are software programs that make it easier. Some are free and there is Butel .. which is about 39.00 but is very good for adding frequencies etc to your scanner. There is FreeScan which is free and works pretty well. Hope this helped somewhat.

        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Gerri Nylund" <aradia@...> wrote:

        > I am considering getting the BC346, but worry about the difficulty programming in the frequencies. Reviews on Amazon make it sound pretty difficult. Local dealers say they only sell them and know nothing about programming them. Some online dealers will program, for a price.
        >
        > But since a friend is offering to buy it for me, I'd like to keep the price low.
        > Any advice?

      • Thomas Scarborough
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
          Purchase the program cable, USB to scanner. Download "FreeSCAN" from freescann.com. This program seems to be the most user friendly. Yes, this scanner is confusing to program. Support is available online through the user net, helps a lot!

          Possibly, you can find a current user through the group that can give you personal assistance.

          Scanner works great once it is programmed.

          Thomas Scarborough
          Dayton, Ohio

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            I use Free Scan and a USB cable; it helped me a lot. I do nay required
            editing on my computer, then when ready, upload to the scanner.

            I have a BC346 ....and they are a little difficult to program. But after
            some practice and reading through some manuals you can probably figure it
            out. I'm guessing that none of these types of scanners are real easy.
            There are software programs that make it easier. Some are free and there is
            Butel .. which is about 39.00 but is very good for adding frequencies etc to
            your scanner. There is FreeScan which is free and works pretty well. Hope
            this helped somewhat.

            --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Gerri Nylund" <aradia@...> wrote:

            > I am considering getting the BC346, but worry about the difficulty
            programming in the frequencies. Reviews on Amazon make it sound pretty
            difficult. Local dealers say they only sell them and know nothing about
            programming them. Some online dealers will program, for a price.

            > But since a friend is offering to buy it for me, I'd like to keep the
            price low.
            > Any advice?

          • Gerri Nylund
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2013
              Thanks. I use a Mac computer and it doesn't look like FreeSCAN will work. I did some checking but can't find software for Mac. Do you know of some?

              Gerri