Talk group Ida and system Ids

  • fivesolas2004
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2013
      I am scanning Muskogee regional communications system found at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4416#sites

      I have it scanning ALL the blue, red, and black freqs listed for Columbus

      It is set to search and store Ids

      Several Ids that are found are not listed at above web page. Is there a way to look them up or must I listen to them and play detective?

      Also, I'm having trouble understanding which regional trunking systems sites go with what talk groups below. I know that you should check to see of you can hear the red or blue freqs for data traffic in conventional mode, and I hear nothing on several of then other sites OTHER THAN Columbus and I hear no data period. I'll assume I'm to far away to listen to them because there's not sound on those data channels?

      Thanks for all your help. I bought a home patrol and returned it because it would pick the wrong site for ft Benning, and would not let me manually pick the site for Benning without the extreme upgrade.. No way I'm investing $600 in a scanner..

      Thanks for your help again!
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2013
        For the first question, you must play detective.

        For the second, talk groups don't "go with" system sites. What happens is that if a user whos radio is set for a particular channel affiliates with a site, then that site will carry traffic for that channel. If no user for a particular channel is associated with a site, that site will not carry that channel's traffic. It is somewhat dynamic in that regard. (There are some specific exceptions where the system administrator can prevent certain channels from affiliating with certain sites, but that is fairly uncommon.)

        So, on a statewide system like Colorado, the sites to the far west will not typically carry Denver traffic. But if someone from Denver drives out west with their radio set to a Denver channel, each site that the radio affiliates with will carry the Denver channel traffic until the radio affiliates with another site (or is otherwise out of range).

        UpMan

        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2013
          I should have mentioned that you could have easily limited the HP-1 to the
          Benning site by using the Favorites Lists...no upgrade required.

          But, had you sprung for the $100 the upgrade would have included features making
          your "detective" work much easier. The HP-1 can be set to record audio only on
          "unknown" channels for later playback (Trunking Discovery Mode).

          ________________________________
[...]

          UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before
          emailing me directly

          >________________________________

        • fivesolas2004
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            Il stick with my 346xt it was $217 NEW with the tax, and its seems to be a LOT more sensitive and able to pick up conventional channels and the hp missed a lot of these same channels that the 346 EASILY receives at my home :)

            Thanks for all the hel guys

            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              Is there a way to MERGE the channels found via search and scan on a Motorola trucked system with a group I have designated as "unknown" ? I hate to re enter all the founds Ids into the "unknown" group if there's a easier way to do this
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2013
                You could simply rename your "unknown" group.

                You can also use copy and paste, but it's much easier in software.

                Joe M.