BC346XT - would like someone to program and explain use

  • ghahn555
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2013
      I'm not a radio/scanner aficionado. I'm a train geek. I received this scanner as a gift. I travel the US and Canada extensively and would like to be able to listen to railroad radio chatter while I'm taking pics alongside the tracks. Ideally, I would like to find someone in the Columbus, Ohio area to program this for me and give me a tutorial on how to use it. Anyone have a contact that would be willing to do this?
      Thanx, Gary Hahn
    • Robert Terzi
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2013
        On 3/30/2013 11:00 AM, ghahn555 wrote:
        > I'm not a radio/scanner aficionado. I'm a train geek.

        I'm not in your area, nor am I a train geek, but I there are two features
        of your new scanner that could get you going quickly without programming.

        > [...] would like to be able to listen to railroad radio chatter while I'm taking
        >pics alongside the tracks

        If you are in close proximity, try the Close Call feature to see what
        nearby signals your scanner can pick up. There are several Close Call
        modes, but you might want to start with Close Call Only which you can
        get to from the Menu. Press the menu button, scroll to Close Call with
        the knob on top, press the knob to select, select close call Only.

        (There is a short cut to get into close call, tapping the Function Key and then hold
        down the hold button for second. You'll see the Hold button has a close call symbol
        next to it, a C in a circle).

        When in close call only mode, you might need to hit the 2 key to turn off
        broadcast FM band if there are any strong FM broadcast stations near you
        that are being picked up with close call.

        I've used close call while riding on a train to pickup some of the train
        chatter without knowing the frequencies or having any programmed.

        Your scanner also has a number of built-in searches, that includes railroad.
        Use the menu, scroll down to "Search For", select it, then select "Search Service",
        then select "Railroad". It will now search a number of common pre-programmed
        radio frequencies.

        If you hear channels you want to save, hit the E/Yes button. Then hit it
        again the save it in the built-in Quick Save group. You can add other information
        like a name or your can just hit LO the lockout button to return to your search.

        Hope this helps,
        --Rob
      • Bob Havenga
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2013
          You can always look at Marks scanners on the internet. This is very helpful and easy to understand. I have used this find more features on the scanner.

          > I'm not a radio/scanner aficionado. I'm a train geek.

          I'm not in your area, nor am I a train geek, but I there are two features
          of your new scanner that could get you going quickly without programming.

          > [...] would like to be able to listen to railroad radio chatter while I'm taking
          >pics alongside the tracks

          If you are in close proximity, try the Close Call feature to see what
          nearby signals your scanner can pick up. There are several Close Call
          modes, but you might want to start with Close Call Only which you can
          get to from the Menu. Press the menu button, scroll to Close Call with
          the knob on top, press the knob to select, select close call Only.

          (There is a short cut to get into close call, tapping the Function Key and then hold
          down the hold button for second. You'll see the Hold button has a close call symbol
          next to it, a C in a circle).

          When in close call only mode, you might need to hit the 2 key to turn off
          broadcast FM band if there are any strong FM broadcast stations near you
          that are being picked up with close call.

          I've used close call while riding on a train to pickup some of the train
          chatter without knowing the frequencies or having any programmed.

          Your scanner also has a number of built-in searches, that includes railroad.
          Use the menu, scroll down to "Search For", select it, then select "Search Service",
          then select "Railroad". It will now search a number of common pre-programmed
          radio frequencies.

          If you hear channels you want to save, hit the E/Yes button. Then hit it
          again the save it in the built-in Quick Save group. You can add other information
          like a name or your can just hit LO the lockout button to return to your search.

          Hope this helps,
          --Rob

        • G Hahn
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2013
            Thanks for the leads! I finally got the opportunity to work with the scanner and, just as you said, I was able to get the close call and the railroad frequencies to work just fine! Sorry it took so long to acknowledge your info. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

            Gary Hahn