Re: Trying again

  • xrboys
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
      I wonder if there is a problem more 'global' in nature. Is there a sequence that would just turn on all Groups? Any thoughts on fixes more all-encompassing in the set up menu? Thanks to all of you.

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
        F and the # are two distinct key presses. Don't try to press them at the same
        time. Once you hit F, you have about 3 seconds to hit the GQK#.

        If you need to scroll to the system after hitting F, the time is extended so you
        have about 3 seconds from the instant you stopped scrolling to hit the GQK#.

        When you are on the system, the bottom row (starts GRP:) indicates the GQK
        status for that system. Numerals mean enabled, Stars (*) mean disabled, and
        dashes mean not assigned.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
          Thanks Paul, your last statement gave me an idea to check the groups for * or # or - . Sure enough, all four systems had nothing but dashes. I assume you HAVE to have Groups. Perhaps the group info from the BCT15X didn't upload to the 346. I'll print out the freescan file and see if I can get the groups and then manipulate in the groups. Baby steps - thanks everybody.

          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

          > F and the # are two distinct key presses. Don't try to press them at the same
          > time. Once you hit F, you have about 3 seconds to hit the GQK#.
          >
          > If you need to scroll to the system after hitting F, the time is extended so you
          > have about 3 seconds from the instant you stopped scrolling to hit the GQK#.
          >
          > When you are on the system, the bottom row (starts GRP:) indicates the GQK
          > status for that system. Numerals mean enabled, Stars (*) mean disabled, and
          > dashes mean not assigned.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • xrboys
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
            Darn. I went into Freescan and changed the Group Quick key box to the same as the system QK. I.E: The group within system 1 was changed from a < . > in the GQK drop down box to GQK 1. Did all the systems that way and uploaded it to the scanner and the GQK were there AND I could toggle them on and off! But it didn't make any difference, scanner display shows it's scanning and looking for calls but it doesn't stop on any and no sound comes out. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for reading.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
              Maybe you could upload your FreeScan file to the FILES section.

              It sounds like you don't have the system set up correctly.

              Joe M.

            • sk8mv@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                I finally got mine to work pretty well. What I did was get rid of everything and start from scratch. Then I did just one system and started playing with it. I found if you try one new thing at a time it helps figure it out. I also used the pc with Freescan in the virtual mode makes it easier to see and understand whats going on. I gradually added newer systems. Also, helps to layout a plan on paper so you remember what u set each QK to. Keep us posted on your progress. I will also post if I find any ah ha ... stuff.

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Well, a GQK is not even necessary in the condition you describe (if there is no
                  GQK, the channel group will always be enabled). The other thing to check is to
                  be sure the channel group is not locked out (lock out is separate from GQK
                  enable/disable). To be scanned, a channel must be in a channel group that is
                  both unlocked and (if a GQK is assigned) has its GQK enabled.

                  ________________________________

                • sk8mv@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                    Yeah excellent explaination. There are many different ways to affect Channels and Systems. You really have to sit down and read through the whole Easy Manual on RR. There are lots of hidden little hints in that well done manual.
                    Mark did a great job on that.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                      You are correct in "lets learn the radio" first before software is important...Once you learn by studying the "easy manual' u get the hang of the procedure of "create a system, same menu create the groups, and fill them in with TG's or conv-freqys....I learned on a Uniden246, took about a week....It does get very simple as time goes on and Uniden scanners are great....

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                        You can clear all lockouts quickly by holding down L/O until you hear 3 beeps. That may be worth trying.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                          You can download MS Excel spreadsheets for both conventional and trunked
                          systems, but I forget from where I got mine.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                            OK, I uploaded the file into 'Files'. Great idea, thanks. It's the "UHP problem" file. The scanner looks like it's doing it's thing, just like my other 346 but I can't hear anything. Can anybody see anything wrong with the file? I got the FreeSCAN file from somebody that has a BCT-15X. I wonder if that's the problem? Thanks for any help.

                            > Maybe you could upload your FreeScan file to the FILES section.
                            >
                            > It sounds like you don't have the system set up correctly.
                            >
                            > Joe M.
                            >
                            > xrboys wrote:
                            > > Darn. I went into Freescan and changed the Group Quick key box to the same as the system QK. I.E: The group within system 1 was changed from a < . > in the GQK drop down box to GQK 1. Did all the systems that way and uploaded it to the scanner and the GQK were there AND I could toggle them on and off! But it didn't make any difference, scanner display shows it's scanning and looking for calls but it doesn't stop on any and no sound comes out. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for reading.
                            > >
                            > > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "xrboys" <xrboys@> wrote:
                            > >> Thanks Paul, your last statement gave me an idea to check the groups for * or # or - . Sure enough, all four systems had nothing but dashes. I assume you HAVE to have Groups. Perhaps the group info from the BCT15X didn't upload to the 346. I'll print out the freescan file and see if I can get the groups and then manipulate in the groups. Baby steps - thanks everybody.

                          • xrboys
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                              OK, I changed all the GQK back to the <.>
                              I uploaded the FreeSCAN file for this to Files under UHP problem. Thanks for your help.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 3, 2013
                                It looks like there are a lot of sites in Salt Lake county that you
                                don't have loaded in your scanner. The most notable I see is "Salt Lake
                                Simulcast" which is likely a big one to be missing.

                                Do you know if you can hear Nelson Peak from your house?

                                Have you tried ID SEARCH? You don't have many talkgroups in the scan
                                list, so you won't hear much activity compared to scanning all of them.
                                Using ID SEARCH for the time being would help test your setup.

                                Which one of the four trunked systems is one you are most interested in?
                                It's easier to troubleshoot one at a time rather than all at once.

                                Joe M.