Re: Trying again

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 27, 2013
      Been in scanning over 40 years but im not good with computers or software....So, maybe try programming by hand, make a Trunk System, assign it to the SQK, then follow menu and create Groups and assign them a GQK #...Then u can turn them on and off using the "F+ # of GQK..Take ur time, use the "Easy program Manual=www.markscanners.com for 346XT..Trying to help.....

      --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "xrboys" <xrboys@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying again 6 months later. I'm in UCAN in Utah, Motorola type II Smartzone OmniLink and some conventionals also. Using RR & Arc Pro I choose channels on RR and transferred them to Arc then to the 346XT. That worked, the quick keys aren't working. I double checked and all the group quick keys were how I wanted them but it appears that I can only pick system quick keys and even though I hit <func> then a 1-4 number the only things I can affect are the 'SO' line not the GRP line below it.
      > Question 1: Every time I choose another group in RR to transfer, it would put it in a new system. Can I have just one system and just do all my scanning selections using only groups (and therefore GQK's)?
      > Or should I change it around and have all my selections as 'systems'?
      >
      > Question 2: In RR I attempted to choose just the sites I wanted but if I didn't select all of them, I would tell me "A site must be selected". If it's wasting scanning time, I'd like to just seek the sites that are close, not have to scan all of them.
      > If my question makes you angry in any way please don't answer. I was treated rudely last time and threw the thing in a box for 6 months. I am really trying to understand and learn.

    • xrboys
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 27, 2013
        Thanks for your help and encouragement. I'm making a little headway, but
        still can't get any GQK to toggle, tried holding the F, tapping the F,
        watching for the flashing F screen icon, watching for the solid F screen
        icon. It says to select the system that the group resides in, press the F
        button and the group number using the keypad but by the time I do that it
        has scanned to a different system so it's too late. Tried using the Hold
        key but that didn't work either.

        I'll keep chipping away at it. Trying to meet with a local next week and I
        think that will help a lot.

      • Peter Hutchings
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
          Please let us know what the outcome is.  I'm also interested in this.  I've been having some of the same problems with my scanner.  Probably just inexperience tho.

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
            When you tap F, the "F" stays active for a few seconds. If you missed the target system, after tapping F scroll back to the system, then press the group quick key you want to toggle.

            UpMan

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
              During scanning of the trunk system, be ready and hold down the "Hold" for a beep and it will hold on the system and give u a better chance at controlling the GQK's.....

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                Actually, simply tapping "F" puts the scanner in temporary system hold, so that
                when you scroll back to the system it will stay on the system until the
                time-out-timer (a few seconds) expires...giving you time to then press the
                desired GQK.

                ________________________________

                --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hutchings wrote:

                > Please let us know what the outcome is. I'm also interested in this. I've
                >been having some of the same problems with my scanner. Probably just
                >inexperience tho.

              • xrboys
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                  I will, hopefully I'll learn the secret to the GQKs.

                  --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hutchings <sk8mv@...> wrote:

                  > Please let us know what the outcome is.  I'm also interested in this.  I've been having some of the same problems with my scanner.  Probably just inexperience tho.

                • xrboys
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                    I'm starting to wonder if the problem is elsewhere, no matter how fast I push F + GQK, only the System Quick Keys toggle back and forth. I just uploaded a local guys Highway Patrol programming and although the scanner looks like it is scanning and the SQK work perfectly, there is no sound, no calls coming through. In service searches, the speaker and sound work fine, but scanning on the programming brings nothing. The programming came from a BCT15X but I thought these were kind of 'sister' scanners and compatible.
                    I have another 346 with the same problem, scanning great - no sounds/calls. I've tried no squelch and all squelch and in between. Volume is up. The Group line just has hyphens not x or # toggle. Does that mean there are no groups? I'll print out the Freescan, Detailed report and see if that explains it. The frustrating thing is that real scanner guys would pick mine up, find the problem in two seconds, chuckle, and fix it and then explain "you needed to have this off/on".
                    Thanks for everybody's help.
                    Any idea what is wrong?

                    --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, simply tapping "F" puts the scanner in temporary system hold, so that
                    > when you scroll back to the system it will stay on the system until the
                    > time-out-timer (a few seconds) expires...giving you time to then press the
                    > desired GQK.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • xrboys
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                      I wonder if there is a problem more 'global' in nature. Is there a sequence that would just turn on all Groups? Any thoughts on fixes more all-encompassing in the set up menu? Thanks to all of you.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                        F and the # are two distinct key presses. Don't try to press them at the same
                        time. Once you hit F, you have about 3 seconds to hit the GQK#.

                        If you need to scroll to the system after hitting F, the time is extended so you
                        have about 3 seconds from the instant you stopped scrolling to hit the GQK#.

                        When you are on the system, the bottom row (starts GRP:) indicates the GQK
                        status for that system. Numerals mean enabled, Stars (*) mean disabled, and
                        dashes mean not assigned.

                        ________________________________

                        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz wrote:

                        > Actually, simply tapping "F" puts the scanner in temporary system hold, so that
                        >
                        > when you scroll back to the system it will stay on the system until the
                        > time-out-timer (a few seconds) expires...giving you time to then press the
                        > desired GQK.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • xrboys
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                          Thanks Paul, your last statement gave me an idea to check the groups for * or # or - . Sure enough, all four systems had nothing but dashes. I assume you HAVE to have Groups. Perhaps the group info from the BCT15X didn't upload to the 346. I'll print out the freescan file and see if I can get the groups and then manipulate in the groups. Baby steps - thanks everybody.

                        • xrboys
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 28, 2013
                            Darn. I went into Freescan and changed the Group Quick key box to the same as the system QK. I.E: The group within system 1 was changed from a < . > in the GQK drop down box to GQK 1. Did all the systems that way and uploaded it to the scanner and the GQK were there AND I could toggle them on and off! But it didn't make any difference, scanner display shows it's scanning and looking for calls but it doesn't stop on any and no sound comes out. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for reading.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                              Maybe you could upload your FreeScan file to the FILES section.

                              It sounds like you don't have the system set up correctly.

                              Joe M.

                            • sk8mv@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                I finally got mine to work pretty well. What I did was get rid of everything and start from scratch. Then I did just one system and started playing with it. I found if you try one new thing at a time it helps figure it out. I also used the pc with Freescan in the virtual mode makes it easier to see and understand whats going on. I gradually added newer systems. Also, helps to layout a plan on paper so you remember what u set each QK to. Keep us posted on your progress. I will also post if I find any ah ha ... stuff.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  Well, a GQK is not even necessary in the condition you describe (if there is no
                                  GQK, the channel group will always be enabled). The other thing to check is to
                                  be sure the channel group is not locked out (lock out is separate from GQK
                                  enable/disable). To be scanned, a channel must be in a channel group that is
                                  both unlocked and (if a GQK is assigned) has its GQK enabled.

                                  ________________________________

                                • sk8mv@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    Yeah excellent explaination. There are many different ways to affect Channels and Systems. You really have to sit down and read through the whole Easy Manual on RR. There are lots of hidden little hints in that well done manual.
                                    Mark did a great job on that.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                      You are correct in "lets learn the radio" first before software is important...Once you learn by studying the "easy manual' u get the hang of the procedure of "create a system, same menu create the groups, and fill them in with TG's or conv-freqys....I learned on a Uniden246, took about a week....It does get very simple as time goes on and Uniden scanners are great....

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                        You can clear all lockouts quickly by holding down L/O until you hear 3 beeps. That may be worth trying.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 1, 2013
                                          You can download MS Excel spreadsheets for both conventional and trunked
                                          systems, but I forget from where I got mine.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                                            OK, I uploaded the file into 'Files'. Great idea, thanks. It's the "UHP problem" file. The scanner looks like it's doing it's thing, just like my other 346 but I can't hear anything. Can anybody see anything wrong with the file? I got the FreeSCAN file from somebody that has a BCT-15X. I wonder if that's the problem? Thanks for any help.

                                            > Maybe you could upload your FreeScan file to the FILES section.
                                            >
                                            > It sounds like you don't have the system set up correctly.
                                            >
                                            > Joe M.
                                            >
                                            > xrboys wrote:
                                            > > Darn. I went into Freescan and changed the Group Quick key box to the same as the system QK. I.E: The group within system 1 was changed from a < . > in the GQK drop down box to GQK 1. Did all the systems that way and uploaded it to the scanner and the GQK were there AND I could toggle them on and off! But it didn't make any difference, scanner display shows it's scanning and looking for calls but it doesn't stop on any and no sound comes out. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for reading.
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "xrboys" <xrboys@> wrote:
                                            > >> Thanks Paul, your last statement gave me an idea to check the groups for * or # or - . Sure enough, all four systems had nothing but dashes. I assume you HAVE to have Groups. Perhaps the group info from the BCT15X didn't upload to the 346. I'll print out the freescan file and see if I can get the groups and then manipulate in the groups. Baby steps - thanks everybody.

                                          • xrboys
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
                                              OK, I changed all the GQK back to the <.>
                                              I uploaded the FreeSCAN file for this to Files under UHP problem. Thanks for your help.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                It looks like there are a lot of sites in Salt Lake county that you
                                                don't have loaded in your scanner. The most notable I see is "Salt Lake
                                                Simulcast" which is likely a big one to be missing.

                                                Do you know if you can hear Nelson Peak from your house?

                                                Have you tried ID SEARCH? You don't have many talkgroups in the scan
                                                list, so you won't hear much activity compared to scanning all of them.
                                                Using ID SEARCH for the time being would help test your setup.

                                                Which one of the four trunked systems is one you are most interested in?
                                                It's easier to troubleshoot one at a time rather than all at once.

                                                Joe M.