Discriminator tap

  • None
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6 5:52 PM
      I see this has been discussed prior. Has anyone used an outboard dsp or digital to analog converter for the scanner so I can be portable without being tied to a computer?
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6 5:59 PM
        Wouldn't it be much better to simply buy a BCD396T?
        That way, you could have selectable TG availability.

        Joe M.

        None wrote:
        > I see this has been discussed prior. Has anyone used an outboard dsp or digital to analog converter for the scanner so I can be portable without being tied to a computer?

      • Bob Havenga
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6 6:02 PM
          any idea of the cost for the scanner?

          I was trying to go the cheap route and save some money

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6 6:06 PM
            You can get a used 396T for around $300 - maybe less.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6 6:23 PM
              I am looking at Radio Shack Pro 106.

              Do you have any feed back on it?

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6 8:15 PM
                It's not a bad unit as long as you are not in a dense
                RF environment, as it tends to overload easily.

                Of course, it's much larger then the 346/396.

                There is currently also the issue of whether there will
                be any future firmware updates, as GRE is in limbo.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7 5:49 AM
                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7 12:40 PM
                    I think "Bob" is from the Chicago area as i am using the 106 for Starcom, it works very well on Starcom if your near the correct towers and that would be for "Dupage Co" Tower101...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7 4:59 PM
                      Yes I do live the Chicago area.

                      I have 2 scanners. The Bearcat 346xt and the 760xlt. I have tapped the discrimantor for the 760xlt. I want to be able to be portable with both radios and decode the digital especially for Chicago FD, which has gone digital.

                      I am willing to tap the 346xt because it has more available channels.

                      I would use software with my lap top so I can hear the transmissions while I am mobile.

                      The price of a digital radio prohibits me from getting one.

                      Thanks to all.