Re: [BC346XT] Flexable Duck Antenna 346 ?

  • Robert Terzi
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
      On 10/16/2012 2:46 PM, Chris wrote:
      > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
      >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
      >broken off.. any ideas ?

      You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

      My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to swap.
      At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need something shorter
      I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the diamond.

      I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2 meters / 70 cm
      using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive coverage.

      I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

      The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

      Hope This Helps,
      --Rob
    • Chris Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
        Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
        came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
        flexable...

        Thanks
        Chris

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
          The BC346XT comes with a BNC to SMA adapter.

          > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
          >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
          >broken off.. any ideas ?

          You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

          My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to
          swap.
          At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need
          something shorter I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the
          diamond.

          I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2
          meters / 70 cm using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive
          coverage.

          I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

          http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

          The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

          Hope This Helps,
          --Rob
        • AV
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
            Hi,

            I use this one with my 346 and I'm quite happy with it. As flexible as it
            gets and much better antenna than the stock one.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRH536-SRH-536-HT-DUAL-BAND-ANTENNA-SMA-HI-GAIN-ICOM-/320429459378

            73,
            AV

            On 17 October 2012 00:48, Chris Gray <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
            > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
            > flexable...
            >
            > Thanks
            > Chris

          • Robert Terzi
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
              On 10/16/2012 7:48 PM, Chris Gray wrote:
              > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
              > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
              > flexable...

              There were a couple of good antenna comparisons that tested responses on
              different bands. The site that I recall as the best, strong signals looks like it's gone.

              http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#083100

              The Antenna Challenge is another broad comparison:

              http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/antenna.html

              Because of the reviews I read, its wide coverage, and its gain for transmitting due
              to its length I picked the Diamond I mentioned earlier the RH-77ca. However it
              will probably be too long for you to wear all the time.

              I use BNC on my BC346XT and all my amateur handhelds so I can quickly swap antennas without
              worrying about breaking the pin in the fragile SMA connector. If you are going to
              get a single replacement antenna and keep it permanently attached stick with SMA.
              If you think you might be changing antennas periodically, consider BNC.

              Hope This Helps,
              --Rob
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                I have the Radio Shack center-loaded telescoping whip antenna which I use at
                home, usually fully collapsed. Outside, I use the supplied rubber duck,
                which is good for my needs.